Friday, April 19, 2013

Episode Two A Charming Companion


Episode Two  A Charming Companion

  "Good morning, Sweetheart!  I'm so glad to see you're feeling better this morning.  Why don't I make us some coffee?  Okay?" he cooed.  She nodded.  Wow!  All this sweet talk and he made coffee, too?  He got up, unfolding a tall, slim, very attractive body.  She watched him walk over to the coffee pot in the entryway, rethinking her 'Hey, Bozo' speech.  Soon she heard the puffing and dripping of a coffeemaker.
  "Yes, I do feel better,” she agreed, “but how did you know?"  He let out a squeaky laugh while putting on his robe.
  "Easy!  You didn't scream at me at the top of your lungs, or call me ‘Buddy,’ or the more gangster-like version ‘Buster,’ or my absolute favorite morning insult, the clownish ‘Bozo.’  And you didn’t order me to get the hell out of here, as you gestured toward the door like a demented flight attendant during the emergency drill on the flight to hell.  You didn’t tell me to leave you alone.  And you didn’t threaten me with legal action."
  “Legal action?”
  “To get our marriage annulled.”
  "Oh!” she nodded.  “I'm sorry!"
  "It's okay.  I understand," he beamed a gorgeous smile at her.  "I'm just so happy you're feeling better!"  He brought her a cup of coffee.  “Here, your favorite blend.”
  "Thank you.”  I have a favorite blend?  Since when?  She took a sip.  “Mmmm, this is really good,” she said pointing to the cup.  “Yea, well, about that.  I feel fine, but I don't really... remember.  Anything."
  "I know," he said looking down at the floor.
  "No.  No, I don’t think you do.  It’s not that I simply don’t remember what we did last night.    I don't remember how I got here.  I don’t remember where I work, or what I'm driving these days."
  "I know," he said softly.
  "No.  NO!  It gets much worse!  I don't know who I am, and I sure as hell don't know who you are!"
  "I know," he said on the brink of tears.  He held his arms open.  "Come here, Sweetheart.  At least this morning you don't think I'm some bad guy.  At least today you know that I'm your husband.  And you know you're safe when you’re with me, and you know I won't ever let anything bad happen to you."
  "Anything else!" she snarled at him.  He put his head down. 
  "Yes, Love, anything else."  He put his arms down, realizing she wasn't coming to him for comfort, the comfort he needed as much as she did.  Maybe more.

No comments:

Post a Comment