Wednesday, January 29, 2014

WHAT'S UP WEDNESDAY JANUARY 29 2014



                     J  Ryan Jobson

In the fall of 2013, Vision & Verse had the pleasure of featuring local Houston artist, J Ryan Jobson in an interview along with his art work.  It is our pleasure to bring you the latest endeavors of Mr. Jobson here today.

I had the opportunity to photograph a work that Ryan did for the interior of his studio.  The graffiti mural shown below, encompasses a 30 foot section of the studio's west wall.  The photos don't do the work justice...it is awesome.



I had the opportunity to talk with Ryan about this graffiti art and his new work recently.

Parker:     Ryan, thanks so much for inviting me back to your studio.  I have to ask,
                  what inspired you to make this incredible statement in your work space?

Ryan:        It's ironic, but I had read a piece you did on graffiti as art sometime last
                  year and I did some research and talked to some artists and found it to
                  be a very inspiring art form.  I did this on a whim, as you remember that
                  wall was nothing but cold boring brick and I thought it could use some
                  beautification.  (laughing)

Parker:      It's just spectacular.

Ryan:         Thanks, but it's an on-going project...I can't decide whether to continue
                   it length-wise or go up with it.

Parker:        Either way I think it will be amazing.



Parker:        I'd like to talk about your latest endeavor, painting on "sheets" of
                     concrete.  First off, tell me about these concrete sheets.

Ryan:           Well, I had this bright idea (laughing) to make a thin sheet by building
                      a wood frame and pouring a 1 to 1 1/2 inch layer of concrete.  The first
                      one I made, I made with a smooth surface, then used a sculpting tool to
                      divide the surface into squares, just lightly going into the wet cement.
                      As much as I liked working on that surface, I found I wanted to leave it
                       in a more natural state to get even more texture...hence in the works
                       since then, you can see the holes where there were bubbles.

Parker:           Are there any drawbacks to painting on concrete?

Ryan:              Well in this case yes.  Because the material is so thin, I have to take
                        care when removing it from the frame...it has a tendency to crack.  I
                        had thought of reinforcing it with wire, but that would add to the weight
                        of each piece and I've tried to keep them as light as possible.

Parker:           I noticed that two of the slabs you have here that are partially done are
                        different in that they're "colored".  How did you achieve that?

Ryan:              I used a concrete pigment to create that.  When I mix the concrete I add
                        a powdered pigment.  I'm hoping to achieve a mottled look at some
                        point.

Parker:           I have to say this is amazing.  Is there anything else on the horizon?

Ryan:              I'm still experimenting with this cement thing....I'm looking at maybe
                        adding gravel or possibly some wood fragments....just ideas right now.

Parker:            Well, thanks very much for sharing your latest work with our readers.
                         It's always great to see what you've created.  We look forward to your
                         future work.



Image above, "THE STARE", 30" x 40", painted concrete, by J Ryan Jobson.





Image above, "THE EAR", 24" x 30", painted concrete, by J Ryan Jobson.



Image above, "UNTITLED", 24"X 36", painted concrete, by J Ryan Jobson.


Many thanks to Ryan for allowing V&V to showcase his latest efforts.  We wish him all the best in his future endeavors and hope to once again host more of his incredible talent.


No comments:

Post a Comment