Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Interview with Poet Shawn Whittington


 Shawn Whittington
 Georgetown, Ohio


Good morning, Shawn, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors, and that includes Poets!  We are happy to have you with us this morning.  What have you written?
 Broken Dreams and Empty Screams: a poetry collection, & Through the Storm: a poetry collection.

What is your favorite genre to write?
Poetry and action/adventure.

What is Shawn Whittington's favorite food?
Pie

Tea or coffee?
Coffee

Pizza or ice cream?
Both, Hawaiian pizza, with chocolate ice cream for dessert. 

Where would you like to visit?
Someday, I’d like to visit England, Italy, and Japan.


Oh, Shawn, Italy is fabulous.  I loved every part of the country.  Go there first.  Favorite music artist?  And do you listen to music when you write?
Marilyn Manson, Saliva, Cypress Hill to name a few. I listen to music when I write, I put my MP3 player on shuffle/repeat, and let it play.

What makes you laugh?
My friends and family.

Favorite work of art.
The Persistence of Memory – Salvador Dali


Ah, yes, that's the limp clocks one, love that one, too.  How long have you been writing?
I have been writing since I learned how, wasn’t very serious about it until I was 14 years old.


Describe your perfect evening.
Hanging out with my family or a few close friends.


Where do you get your inspiration?
My inspiration comes from everywhere, movies, books, songs, conversations, nature, my emotions.


What do you do when you get writer's block?
I work on another project.

Favorite author?
I have many favorite authors, Stephan King, Clive Barker, R.L. Stine.

Favorite book?
I’ve read too many books to choose one as the best, but I liked
Mister B. Gone.


Oh, yes, that's Clive Barker's new one.  I haven't read it, but I've heard  about it.  What would be doing if you were not a poet and a writer?
I’d love to be a pilot.



Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
My mom because she always pushing me to do my best.

Who is the one person, living or dead, real or fictional, that you would like to sit down and have a conversation with and why?
So many people I’d love to have a conversation with, but I think H.P. Lovecraft would be a great choice, because he seems intriguing.


What advice do you have for a young person who wants to make a career of writing?
Always strive to improve your craft.  This advice was given to me and I agree with it: “Not everyone will like what you write, but as long as you can touch one person with what you write, then it was worth writing.”


Do you have some links for us to follow you?







No comments:

Post a Comment