Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Art of Caroline Ashwood

Dear Gentle Readers,

This gorgeous painting, called Summer Peony is a 48" x 48" deep-textured acrylic by Caroline Ashwood, done in bright color washes and glazes with metallic highlights.

The following is from Caroline's website at http://carolineashwood.co.uk/  Please check it out.

"I work as a full time artist from a yorkshire art studio (Soar Works) where I get physical with the paint and canvas. My work is visceral and spontaneous. When I paint, I rely entirely on my instincts. Using my hands to work the paint washes around the surface, I continually move the artwork back and forth to keep the colours flowing. Eventually I reach a point where I allow the paint to take the control so that I can revel in the prospect of the paint surprising me yet again
Through my work, I am constantly exploring the relationship between colour, light and form. Even though it was drilled into me in my earliest formal art studies that drawing and draughtsmanship are of critical importance to serious artistic endeavour, it was only when I ventured away from literal points of reference that I began to discover the visceral impact to be enjoyed in the luminance, shapes and hues of glorious nature."

No comments:

Post a Comment