Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Interview with Author Dane McCaslin


Dane McCaslin
Arizona

Good morning, Dane, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the place for Art and Authors. Can you tell us a little about what you've written?
I’ve written 2.5 books starring the irascible Caro, along with 2 stand alones. The titles are as follows: The Pen is Mightier (short story included in “KILLER BEACH READS”), A Bird in the Hand, When the Cat’s Away, Murder at the Miramar, and Becklaw’s Murder Mystery Tour. My current WIP is called ‘Photo Finished’, the fourth installment in a multi-authored series, and it comes out in October.

What is your favorite genre to write?    
 Cozies!

Favorite food. 
Currently it’s hummus. Versatile and yummy!

Tea or coffee?
Coffee first thing in the morning, then a healthy dose of iced green tea the rest of the day.

Pizza or ice cream?
Pizza, particularly if it’s made with pesto and lots of mozzarella cheese.

Wine or beer?
Neither. Can I choose Peilligrino?

Yes, you can. Where would you like to visit?
I’d love to visit Quebec. Blame that on authors Louise Penny and Kathy Reichs.

Favorite musical artist.
Modern artist is Phil Collins. Classical is Verdi.

 Do you listen to music when you write? 
No – I’m a ’don’t bug me’ type of writer.



What makes you laugh?
Dry humor, as in Mark Twain. The comic strip Calvin and Hobbes.And my silly grandkids.

Favorite work of art or sculpture. 
Gustav Klimt’s ‘The Kiss’.Riveting!

How old were you when you started writing?
When I was old enough to ask, ‘how do you spell…’ I’m sure I drove my mother insane!

Describe your perfect evening. 
This is easy: on the beach (I like Coronado or Catalina) with a cappuccino in hand and my hubby next to me.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I’m at the risk of sounding slightly crazy here: the characters inspire me! In fact, there are times I’m positive I know the plot and Caro will come along and change it all up again. Caro, by the way, is the protagonist in my Proverbial Crimes books, and a force to be reckoned with.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
Walk. Nap. Rearrange a drawer or three. Eventually is goes away, like a bad cold.

Who is your favorite author?
Not fair! I have a favorite author for different times in my life, but if I had to choose, Dame Agatha Christie wins, hands down.

Best book you ever read. 
Again, a tough question. I think we readers tend to have multiple faves. Currently, I’m in love with the prose of Elizabeth George, Her characters are fascinating!

Last book you read. 
I just finished ‘The Wedding Cake Murder’ by Joanne Fluke.


I love those Hannah Swenson books! What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer? A baker maybe? 
I’d be a librarian in a snap!

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
I’ve been blessed with positive influences my entire life, from family to friends. If I had to choose, I’d have to say Ida Mae Burnette Johns, my maternal great-grandmother. She was one tough cookie! ‘Survive’ was her motto and she did it with style.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
Oh, Hercule Poirot! I’d love to pick those ‘little grey cells’ and get some insight into the criminal mind.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Keep it all – don’t erase or delete anything! I’ve got an amazing amount of ‘go-to’ paragraphs, phrases, and descriptions that have found their way into several of my books.

Do you have any links for us to follow you?


www.danemccaslin.co (not .com)
@mccaslin_dane


Thank you for being with us this morning, Dane. We at Vision and Verse wish you continued success in all your endeavors. Come back and see us again!

No comments:

Post a Comment