Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Interivew with Author Armand Rosamilia






 Armand Rosamilia 
Jacksonville FL


Good morning, Armand, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors. Tell us a little about what you've written. 
Over 100 published stories. I’ve been writing full-time for six years and loving every minute of it. Truly living the dream. My latest is the crime thriller Dirty Deeds 3.

What is your favorite genre to write?
I just enjoy writing characters. I mostly wrote horror but always dabbled in crime thrillers, contemporary fiction, supernatural thrillers and whatever else I wanted to write.


Favorite food.
If my wife would let me rotate pizza
one night and then Chinese food the next for the rest of our lives I’d do it.

Tea or coffee?
I drink about 2 pots of coffee per day. Either Dunkin Donuts or Death Wish Coffee. I panic if there is less than 2 lbs. of coffee in the house and less than 3 bottles of flavored creamer.

Pizza or ice cream?
Pizza. I love sweets (mostly chocolate) but not a huge ice cream fan for some reason.

Wine or beer?
Social drinker of beer. Mostly microbrews if I have one. I go about four months between drinks so not really all that social about it.

Where would you like to visit?
Italy. It is a trip my wife and I want to do before we get too old to enjoy it properly. I’m half Italian and I’d love to see where my great grandparents came from.

Oh, Armand, go. Go now. Italy is fabulous. It's not just the breathtaking scenery and fantastic architecture, or the amazing food, it's the centuries of culture painstakingly cared for and loved, and the people. They know how to live! Favorite musical artist.  Do you listen to music when you write? 
If I had to pick just one artist it would be Billy Squier. I listen to a lot of different music while I’m writing. I can’t write if it is completely quiet. I need the noise.

What?
Mostly heavy metal from the 80’s. I like it loud. I don’t choose music based on what I’m writing because when I’m in the zone I never hear the music except as background noise.

What makes you laugh?
My wife laughing. I swore when we got married I’d make her laugh every day of our lives. So far, two years in, she’s still laughing. Mostly at the dumb things I say or do, but it counts, right?

Favorite work of art or sculpture.
I’m a huge Frank Frazetta fan. He did the original Conan covers. HR Geiger is also a favorite. I love science fiction and fantasy artwork.

How old were you when you started writing?
Twelve. I got hooked because of Dean Koontz books. I swore I’d someday be a full-time author. It only took me another 30 years to get there from that point.

Describe your perfect evening.
Takeout Chinese food and/or pizza. Cuddled up on the couch with my wife watching Catfish television episodes and then reading a good book before bed. I’m not someone who likes to go out a lot.

Where do you get your inspiration?
It’s all around me. Every conversation. Every mannerism of people I see. Stories people tell me. Everything can be part of a future story.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
I never do because I write multiple stories at the same time. I always have 4-5 open docs on my computer and I go between them all day. Whichever one I have an idea for.

Who is your favorite author? 
Dean Koontz was the first one to make me believe you could do this as a career. I still take inspiration from his work as well as the memories of being 12 and trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.

Best book you ever read.
Watership Down by Richard Adams. As a kid it blew me away, and it’s one of the only books I’ve read multiple times.

I love Watership Down. Fiver! Fiver! Last book you read.
Pay Up And Die by Chuck Buda. He has a great voice and I see great things from this new-ish author.

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
I’d still be stuck in retail management, slowly dying inside and wondering if I’d ever get out. It did give me some great characters and stories after twenty years, though.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
My wife, Shelly. She got me focused when it came to looking at this as a career and not just a fun thing to do. She’s a commercial property manager and set me up with spreadsheets and schedules. She taught me the business side of writing.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
RE Howard, who created Conan and so many other great characters. I’d want to know how his mind worked with writing and being so prolific in such a short amount of time.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Read. A lot. Not just in your genre, either. Read it all. I mostly read nonfiction now and it gives me fresh ideas. You can learn a lot by going completely outside of your comfort zone to see how other authors put together a compelling story.


Do you have some links for us to follow you?
You can find me all over social media.
Twitter: @ArmandAuthor

Armand Rosamilia, Author
Horror. Thrillers. Contemporary Fiction. Heavy Metal. Zombies.

Project Entertainment Network




No comments:

Post a Comment