Wednesday, July 24, 2024

INTERVIEW: Romance Author Brenda Hasse

 

Brenda Hasse

Fenton, MI

USA


 

Good morning, Brenda, and welcome to Vision and Verse. What have you written? 

I have written both fiction and nonfiction and published indie and traditional. In fiction, I have written many genres – picture books for children, YA historical romance, second chance romance, romantic suspense, pre-teen historical mystery, metaphysical/visionary. In nonfiction, a human trafficking biography, ghost stories and history of Fenton, MI. In total, I have written sixteen books and am currently editing my seventeenth book.



What is your favorite genre to write? 

Romance



Favorite food.    

Chocolate



Tea or coffee? 

Coffee



Pizza or ice cream? 

Pizza



Wine or beer or soda or what? 

Water with lemon



Where would you like to visit? 

I have been to Scotland twice and would love to revisit it.



Favorite musical artist. 

ELO



Do you listen to music when you write? 

No.



What makes you laugh? 

My grandchildren.



Favorite work of art or sculpture. 

The Veiled Virgin by Giovanni Strazza




I love that one, too.

How old were you when you started writing?
 
In my 30s, but I did not publish for a decade or so. 



Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write? 

I define myself as a pantser. I use a character card for each character in my book. It contains physical and emotional characteristics that I refer to while writing. Even though I start with a basic outline, it may change as I write.



Describe your perfect evening. 

My perfect evening is in the company of family. Even though I enjoy my quiet time to write, being with loved ones is always welcomed.



Where do you get your inspiration?

 I like to think I am chosen to tell a story. Sometimes, the inspiration finds me. For instance, the book about a young woman who was human trafficked here in the United States happened during a book signing. The woman and I began talking and she shared her experience with me. After telling me her story, she admitted she had never told anyone else about her experience, not even her family. She didn’t know why she was telling me. I could think of no other reason other than I was supposed to write her story.



What do you do when you get a writer's block? 

I don’t experience it often. I try to always have something in mind before I sit down at my laptop to write.



Who is your favorite author? 

Jane Austen  



Best book you ever read.

 A Knight In Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux



Last book you read. 

I read the ARC of Miss Morgan’s Book Brigade by Janet Skeslien Charles 



What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer? 

Knit, garden, spend more time with my husband and grandchildren. I am retired but worked as a computer programmer analyst and, later, a guest teacher in my local school district.



Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why? 

My grandmother, because she was always there for me when my mother was not.



If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, would it be and why? 

Just one? There are so many – Jane Austen, Joan of Arc, Abraham Lincoln, Ben Franklin, Leonardo DeVinci . . .it’s difficult to pick just one. 






What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 

Write for the love of writing. A career in writing is an uphill climb, so don’t quit your day job. 



Do you have some links for us to follow you? 


 










VISION AND VERSE DISCLAIMER

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment