Friday, February 17, 2023

BOOK: Echo of Heartbreak, A Recipe for Life



Echo of Heartbreak, A Recipe for Life" is a short story written in the form of a letter from a very ill mother to her unborn daughter, telling her the incidents surrounding her birth, giving her advice on life, and leaving her the best of her family recipes. 

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Heartbreak-Recipe-Carol-Kauffman


The recipes in this book are special to me. They are my mother's. Now, my mother and my sister were both outstanding cooks and bakers. I, however, did not inherit any of those domestic genes. I can cook well enough to keep my husband alive, but very thin. 

My mother never wrote down a recipe. If as an adult I would ask her how she made this or that, she would just say, "I'll make it for you tomorrow. Pick it up after school."

Fast forward to my mother in her nineties. Still nothing written down, even though she had vacated the kitchen long before. After a fall that broke her hip, she was in a rehab close to me and doing very poorly. Mama was no Lon her in charge. I stopped in multiple times a day. The conversation rolled around to food. (We are Italian.)

And that's how these recipes came into reality. It was not easy. I discovered when she did give a recipe, it was wrong. I'd go home, make it to surprise her, and the surprise was on me. It was horrible. I would bring some to her in a plastic container to taste. And she would laugh.

Finally, after many trials and trips to the rehab facility,  I got the recipes correctly. My mother said I was allowed to share them with my family members, but only after she passed away.

Go figure. 








VISION AND VERSE DISCLAIMER

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.  




No comments:

Post a Comment