Friday, June 7, 2024

BOOK: Space Dragon, A Love Story by Carol Ann Kauffman

Cover by Cover Up & Hide



Twelve of Earthfleet's finest starships are floating in space unmanned. The ships are intact with no visible damage, but no life signs or bodies are detected. 

Earthfleet Council has decided to send cadets out to fly the spaceships home, despite rumors of carnivorous space pirates.

Is it a rescue mission? 
There are no life signs.

Is it a recovery mission? 
There are no bodies to recover.

It's more like a space parking valet mission. 
Locate and board spaceship. 
Bring it home.

What could possibly go wrong?

Available in kindle format, paperback, and on Vella.


Excerpt:

Chapter One

Transportation Gridlock

 

 

“Attention, please: Public transportation is presently shut down due to a minor snafu in the citywide driverless vehicle system,” blared the governmental artificial intelligence program announcer over the public address system. “We ask for your patience as we work to resume normal operations.”  

“Wonderful. Just wonderful,” announced Emma Fortunato to no one in particular as she sat down on the steps of the building. “Traffic’s at a standstill and I need to get across town to the Conference Center now. Like right now.”

“Oh, no, Em, what are you going to do?” asked Earthfleet Leadership classmate Abby Sweetwater.

“I don’t know yet.” Emma rubbed her forehead. “I need to present my suggestions for manning the remaining EarthFleet ships with staff in order to avert the crisis in the Ulysses Quadrant. Entire crews have disappeared from spaceships in this quadrant, leaving twelve of our ships floating empty in space.”

“Yeah, I know,” said Abby, flicking her hair. “That’s all my dad’s been talking about is your great plan. He’s so excited. Who else is near the Conference Center who could step in and take your place at the conference?”

“Nobody can take her place,” answered Tyler Lomond, walking up to join the conversation.

“Hi, Tyler,” giggled Abby. “What are you doing here so early?”

“I’m here to take the Science Officer exam.” Tyler turned to Emma.

“Mr. Fortunato,” nodded Tyler, giving her the formal class greeting. “It’s good to see you outside the training room. Is all well with our shining star?”

Emma looked at him quizzically. 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m in your Leadership Forum. Tyler Lomond.”

“You are? Where?”

“I sit in the last row in the back,” he laughed, “as close to the exit as I can get.”

“Hello, Mr. Lomond. I swear I’ve never seen you before. I’m pretty sure I’d remember you.”

“I get there late every day,” he blushed.  “And leave early.”

“Well, maybe that’s why I’ve never seen you. Tyler, as much as I would like to, I can’t stop and chat. I need to be at the Conference Center in ten minutes to present my ideas for staffing as the EarthFleet ships.”

“Yes, the ones floating crewless in the quadrant. That’s all everybody’s talking about.”

“Yes, and as you can see, traffic is a standstill. Nothing is moving. This is really important. I need to figure out what to do next.”

“I can get you there is seven minutes,” he says as he points to his motorcycle.

“Let’s go, Mr. Lomond.”

 

Tyler handed Emma his helmet. He helped her get on the back of the motorcycle.

“Have you ever been on a Speed Cycle before?”

“No. But I’m desperate,” said Emma.

“Well, you’re in for a treat. Hold on tight.”

He zoomed in and out of traffic, zigzagging through lanes of stopped vehicles as Emma clutched on tightly behind him. Arriving at the Conference Center in seven minutes as promised, Emma hopped off and removed Tyler’s borrowed helmet.

“Thank you. Oh, I must look like hell.” She ran her fingers through her long, wavy, chestnut brown hair.

“No. You look beautiful. Now get in there and knock them dead, Captain. Go,” Tyler smiled and pointed.

“Thank you again, Tyler.”

“My pleasure, Emma.”

Tyler watched her run into the Conference Center. He glanced at his watch. He put on his helmet, raced back to the Earthfleet Certification Building, and ran into the building.

“Tyler Lomond, here to take the Science Officer Certification Exam.” He pulled out his identification and pre-authorized exam fee receipt. “All my paperwork is in order.”

“Sorry, Mr. Lomond,” said the monitor at the door Cadet Monitor Jason Wazelle. “The exam procedure has begun. You are three minutes late.”

“Oh, come on, Mr. Wazelle. I can see through the window they haven’t started yet. Let me in.”

“No can do,” said Wazelle with a smirk as he tapped his watch face. “You should learn to be on time, Lomond.” 














VISION AND VERSE DISCLAIMER

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment