Thursday, December 4, 2014

Interview with Author Denise Liebig





Denise Liebig
I currently live near Las Vegas, Nevada, 
but I grew-up in Oregon.


Good morning, Denise, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors.  We're happy to have you here with us this morning.  What have you written?
I recently published Dear Maude, the first book of The Dear Maude Trilogy.  It’s the story of a young woman, who journeys from the safety of her family into the “real world” after college.  As her new life takes her further and further from home, she pours her experiences onto the pages of a journal she addresses to her deceased aunt, Maude.  Dear Maude has romance, fantasy and bit of history rolled into one. 


What is your favorite genre to write?
I enjoy writing in general, and one of my favorite genres is women’s fiction.  Dear Maude falls into that category.  I also enjoy writing children’s literature.  I have several unpublished children’s short stories that I hope to revisit in the future. 

Favorite food.
I’ve recently discovered lamb chops and have to admit that I can’t get enough.


Tea or coffee?
Tea - strong and sweet.  I will drink the whole cup without removing the teabag. 


Pizza or ice cream?
I love pizza (without cheese) and could probably live on it.  Fortunately, most places don’t mind the challenge of making it cheese-less.


Where would you like to visit?
I have always wanted to visit Scotland and Ireland.  I have traveled to many parts of the world but have never been to either.  The Gaelic and Celtic cultures/languages fascinate me, and I would also love to see the beautiful scenery I have drooled over in coffee table books and movies. 



There are so many of us who are writers who want to go to Scotland!  We need to get a tour group together.  Wouldn't that be a blast?  Favorite musical artist.  Do you listen to music when you write?  What?
I can’t say that I have one favorite musical artist or group; I have many.  What I listen to depends upon the mood I’m in at the time and what activity I am doing.  For example, when I paint, I have to listen to classical.  I don’t listen to music when I write.  It is too distracting; because if a song has words, I have to sing them!


What makes you laugh?
Movies


Favorite work of art or sculpture.
I have always liked Impressionism.  I don’t have a favorite work of art, but I have a favorite artist - Renoir.  I do have a favorite sculptor, though - Michael Florin Dente, my art teacher from college.


How old were you when you started writing?
I was in the first grade, and I loved writing stories on the blue-lined newsprint paper that always had a space for a picture on the top. 


Describe your perfect evening.
My perfect evening would involve a date with my husband.  We have kids, so the dates don’t happen as often as we’d prefer.  It’s nice when they do, though.


Where do you get your inspiration?
I get my inspiration from many places, such as situations around me, questions that movies or books trigger in my head, my family, and most importantly, those few moments of quiet when I’m trying to fall asleep at night. 


What do you do when you get a writer's block?
I paint.  I am currently working with acrylics, but I also have painted with oils and watercolors.  Letting my imagination go on the canvas usually triggers something that helps in my writing. 


Who is your favorite author?
I have always loved Beatrix Potter.  Her little stories and drawings are so filled with imagination that the books just come to life for me. 
 

Best book you ever read.
I have read quite a few great books and have a difficult time choosing just one.  I have always been a fan of the 1920s, and F Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favorites from that era.  So, I have to say The Great Gatsby.


Last book you read.
I read many books simultaneously as part of my writing research.  One recent book, I Remember Distinctly by Frederick Lewis Allen, stands out among the rest for its great photos and descriptions of life from 1918-1941. 


What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
I would paint.  It is a very satisfying experience, and if I could make a living at it, all the better. 


Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
My husband has been the greatest influence on my personal life.  He is very supportive and has been a good sounding-board for my ideas. 


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
I would have a conversation with Stanley Blum, an artist and poet who I found on the internet.  He discovered his “inner voice” when he was eighty.  Then he proceeded to paint and publish.  His story intrigues me, especially when he said, “A successful life is essentially a creative life.  Listen to the poets.” 


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
I would suggest that you write every day in some way.  Whether you want to express yourself in a poem, short story, lengthy e-mail to a friend, journal, novel or some other form, you need to write. The more you write, the better your writing skills become.  It’s good to have other people read your work, as well.  It’s a difficult thing to open yourself up to criticism, but it’s a necessary part of the process.  Pick someone you trust and respect, who will give you an honest critique - someone who can make your writing the best it can be.  Good luck!


Do you have a special Christmas memory to share with us?
One of my favorite Christmas memories from my childhood is also one I
still share with my kids.  I used to listen to a radio program called,
"The Cinnamon Bear."  It is the story of two children who search their
attic for their elusive Christmas tree star and in the process discover a
small, stuffed bear.  He takes them on an adventure to help locate the
missing star.  It's a wonderful story, and I still enjoy listening to it
each year.



Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Links:

Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OSHOI1I

No comments:

Post a Comment