Wednesday, December 19, 2018

INTERVIEW: Meet Multi-Genre Author Gary D. Henry




















Gary D. Henry
Sterling, Virginia
   USA


Good morning, Gary, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for Art and Authors
I've been wanting to interview you for a while now. I'm 
glad you're here. Can you tell us what you've written?
At present, I’ve published 22 books with 3 more to be 
published before the end of the year.



What is your favorite genre to write?

Pretty much any genre with a few obvious exceptions. Readers of my books will tell 
you that I’m a multi-genre author who likes to incorporate many of them within one 
story. It’s a little challenging at times but it always seems to work out to make a 
complete tale. Most incorporate, horror, mystery, drama, romance, and any other 
literary limits I can work into it. I like it when readers can’t really pinpoint a genre in 
a particular story.


Favorite food.
Almost anything Italian and American staples.

Tea or coffee?
Neither. I’ve never acquired a taste for either but I must admit that a big pitcher of 
sweet tea on a warm summer afternoon is quite refreshing.

Pizza or ice cream?
Both. Why not?

Wine or beer?
Beer. Although, I don’t drink much unless I find myself in a difficult four-twist story 
line where I should determine where and when to let the reader know how all four 
twists easily meld into a viable understanding of the overall story. Thankfully, 
I always have an idea where each are going. If I had to describe it; it’s like watching 
the movie Clue and trying to determine who done it. 


Where would you like to visit?
I’ve already visited just about every state in the continental US but never made it 
to Monument Valley in Northern Arizona. The site where John Wayne rode in many 
of his classic westerns.

Favorite musical artist.
Way too many, The Guess Who, Jim Croce, Three Dog 
Night, Lobo, Elvis Presley, Bee Gees (Early and later), 
Chicago, Bread, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Fred 
Astaire, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, 

Do you listen to music when you write?
Sometimes, but mostly, an old movie such as Gone 
with the Wind, one of a dozen classic musicals, or 
comedies such as Lewis and Martin. Abbott and 
Costello, or Hope and Crosby, is playing in the 
background


What?
50’s, 60’s and 70’s mostly  


What makes you laugh?
Hope and Crosby, Mel Brooks, or any well thought out comedy.


How old were you when you started writing?
Mid 2009; I was 54. That was 8 years ago, though it seems like decades when 
I view myself in the mirror and see what all this has done to me.


Describe your perfect evening.
All the bills paid with a lot of money left over, a full stomach and an over-abundance 
of energy. A 74-degree space with a classic movie playing in the background; a slight
breeze hitting my face and just a few pages left to write on the ending of a new novel.
Oh, and not having to go to work the next day.


Where do you get your inspiration?
Anywhere and everywhere. Easily, the most asked 
question ever. The usual answer is I don’t know, 
because all my stories veer into many genres and 
goes into many directions. I never could pinpoint 
where it all comes from and never dwelled on it as 
long as it came and stayed. It hasn’t stopped yet. 
I can find a story in just about any setting or location.



What do you do when you get a writer's block?
I’ve never really had this for an extended period of 
time. When I’m stuck, I think about the problem while 
sleeping and have always had the answer by morning.


Who is your favorite author?
This is easy because I have none, and that includes myself to a certain degree. 
I have zero time to read considering I still have a full-time job working for a defense 
contractor and the fact that I’ve written 27 full-length novels in 8 years.
If I had to answer, I’d say Stephen King, but that’s because of watching movies 
based on his books. JK Rowling comes in a close second.




Best book you ever read.
 
Allow me to answer this question as well as the 
next, here. One of the major quirks about me is that
I’ve only read one book and that was the Red 
Badge of Courage 47 years ago and only because 
my high school teacher made me. I just haven’t the
patience or time to read books. I need read each of 
my own books at least five times and by the fifth 
time, I’m ready to throw it against the wall 
regardless of how good it is.



What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer? 
Ideally, I’d be a baseball player. However, many cheeseburgers later, I’d have to 
hit a triple just to get to first base. Although, I’m fascinated with screenwriting and 
certainly achievable.


Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why? 
I started writing with no experience and no desire. I did it because someone dared 
me and eight years later I’m still plugging away. Haven’t decided whether I won the 
dare or not. I did this completely on my own so I guess no one influenced me. My 
family didn’t even know about my writing abilities until my first book was written 
and published. The truth be told I wasn’t even convinced until my tenth book was 
published and even, now, there’s a slight trepidation when I release a new one.


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, 
real or fictional, who would it be and why?
Sorry, can’t just mention one. Elvis Presley, Bob Hope, Dean Martin, and Stephen 
King.Elvis, because he meant a great deal to our culture and the music world and 
died too young. Every young boy wanted to be him and every young woman wanted 
to be with him. I was saddened the day he died because, as a young man, I felt as if 
I’d also lost my own dream of stardom.
Bob Hope because he gave the world humor at a time 
when wars took it away. He revived the American spirit
for most of his one hundred years. The most decorated
entertainer of all time and the only man who could cause 
me to stammer my words.Dean Martin because he’s 
Dean Martin!!! Nothing more needs to be said or 
explained.

Stephan King because he’s a writer extraordinaire who 
always writes something new and not just horror. He 
amazingly wrote the Green Mile and The Shawshenk 
Redemption. See, even Stephen King veers from the 
genre that made him famous. What I’d say to him? 
Steve, come help me sort this out!!!

Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Facebook (Gary D. henry and Author Gary D. Henry)
Twitter (@GaryDHenry) 
Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7370324-gary-d-henry

No comments:

Post a Comment