Wednesday, February 6, 2019

INTERVIEW:Epic Fantasy Author Rival Gates


Rival Gates
Nebraska
USA


Good morning, Rival, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for art and book lovers. Can you tell us a little about what you've written?
I have published 3 books in the Sapphire Chronicles so far.  They are “Quest for the Red Sapphire,” “Sapphire Crucible,” and “Mandrean Revenge”. The last one was just re-released; thus, the two covers shown. 


What is your favorite genre to write?

I love Epic Fantasy.  Give me some good battle scenes, a touch of magic, and perhaps a dab of romance and I am a happy man.

Favorite food.
Hands down, it’s lasagna.

Tea or coffee?
Tea, no sugar.

Pizza or ice cream?
That’s like asking which is my favorite child.  If, however, I had to choose it would be pizza.

Wine or beer or soda?
Love wine. Love beer. But most of the time I’m picking soda.

Where would you like to visit?
Rome.

Rome is fabulous, Rival. You should go, and soon. Do all the big sightseeing favorites, like the Collesium, Trivi Fountain, the Vatican Museum, etc. But also, take an afternoon to stroll down a side street, get a coffee or gelato, and absorb the Italian joy of life and their unique concept of time. Favorite musical artist.  Do you listen to music when you write?  What?
Favorite artist/group is Genesis.  I can’t listen to music while writing. My words flow through my mind like music and I don’t want to break my concentration. Just about any other time I have something playing.

What makes you laugh?
Comedy I can relate to.

Favorite work of art or sculpture.
Anything by Thomas Kinkade. It just relaxes me.

How old were you when you started writing?
13

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?
I write a detailed outline so that if I ever get stuck, I can just look back over it.

Describe your perfect evening.

Just my wife and me alone at home with take-out and a funny movie.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons as a kid.  As I was creating dungeons, I started to write stories.  That led to reading more books in the Epic Fantasy genre and finally writing my first draft of “Quest” at age 15.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
I read the outline and then read my last couple of pages to get back into the flow.

Who is your favorite author?
C.S. Lewis

Best book you ever read.
The Hobbit.

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
I would be a furniture salesman.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
My mother was an English teacher and she always encouraged me in writing, jobs, self-esteem and relationships.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
I’d love to talk to and play chess against Napoleon. He is one of the generals I pattern my battles after.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Always be your own biggest fan. Many people will try to tear you down. Create the best work you possibly can and then stand by it.

Do you have some links for us to follow you?

Twitter: RivalGates1

Purchase “Quest for the Red Sapphire”
Universal: books2read.com/u/mKK8O9

Purchase “The Sapphire Crucible”
Universal:  books2read.com/u/bQ9XO6

Purchase “Mandrean Revenge”
Universal Kindle- books2read.com/u/mYoMGY
Universal Paperback- books2read.com/u/brG8aM
Book Trailer:  https://youtu.be/6GOqXs8N9PU


No comments:

Post a Comment