Wednesday, May 15, 2019

INTERVIEW: British Memoir Author John Searancke

John Searancke
West Sussex, England 
and Puerto de la Cruz, Canary Islands

Good morning, John, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for art and books and the people who love them. What have you written?
I have written 3 books, all of which have been published. Here are the details:

My first book, Dog Days in The Fortunate Islandscharts the stories of moving my family and dog to live on a small island in the Atlantic Ocean, and which received much acclaim.  It is available in paperback and e-book formats.

Prunes for Breakfastis my second book and records the life and times of my father throughout WW2, including a cache of unpublished personal letters with details of his landing in Normandy, fighting through the bocage and later capture and incarceration in a German POW Camp. It is available in paperback, e-book and audio formats. 

The Reluctant Hotelkeeperis my third book, just released, and forms a prequel to Dog Days in The Fortunate Islands. It is available in paperback and e-book formats.

What is your favorite genre to write?
I have stuck with Memoirs, as they are most relevant to my circumstances.

Favorite food.
I am very fond of seafood. I love rare roast beef when in England, and I generally follow a Mediterranean type of diet.

Tea or coffee?
The answer has to be tea because I am allergic to coffee.

Pizza or ice cream?
I don’t really see the point of pizza. I know that I am out of step on this one, so I am going for the ice cream option.

Wine or beer or soda?
In my youth I was a beer drinker. Nowadays I prefer a good bottle of wine. Last night it was a Rioja Alavese.

Where would you like to visit?
I want to go back to Venice and then motor along the Italian coast with my lady wife.

Oh, I love Venice. I love it more every time I go. 
And the Amalfi Coast in wonderful. Favorite musical artist.  Do you listen to music when you write?
No, I don’t like the distraction of music when I am writing. I favour classical music when relaxing.

What makes you laugh?
I laugh at books, the escapades of animals and a thousand other things.

This is an arty and author site, so I am obligated to ask: Favorite work of art or sculpture.
I don’t like modern sculpture, probably because I can’t understand it. The same goes for modern art, most of which looks like mad daubs by a chimpanzee. I apologise herewith to all modern artist and sculptors!

How old were you when you started writing?
I was 69 when I first put finger to keyboard for my first book. It took a year before it was accepted by a publisher.

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?
For my first (Dog Days In The Fortunate Islands) and third (The Reluctant Hotelkeeper) books I made some jottings and then fleshed them out into some sort of order. For Prunes for Breakfast I did a lot of research, some of which took me to France, to the Normandy beaches, and to the place where my father was captured and taken prisoner.

Describe your perfect evening.
A night under the stars with my wife, picking at lobsters and drinking chilled white wine – on the French Riviera.

Oh, John, you are making me palpitate. Where do you get your inspiration?
Stories about my past keep popping up into my head. Some are too ridiculous to record!

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
I am please to report that I have never suffered from this.

Who is your favorite author?
Currently it is Manda Scott.

Best book you ever read.
The Charterhouse of Parma.


Last book you read.
The latest Jack Reacher by Lee Child.

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
I wanted to be an arable farmer or an archeologist. If I had to choose again, now, something completely different because the world has changed.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
Margaret Thatcher. Stand up and be counted.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
Sir Winston Churchill, in order to pick his brains about some of his decisions in WW2.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
I would not presume to offer advice on writing, but I would say that you want to get the best editor that you can afford.

Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Website: www.johnsearancke.com
John Searancke Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/john.searancke.1 
John Searancke Pinterest profile page: https://www.pinterest.com/johnsearancke/ 

The Reluctant Hotelkeeper www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LB7WLZM
The Reluctant Hotelkeeper www.amazon.com/dp/B07LB7WLZM
Dog Days in The Fortunate Islands Amazon.co.uk  http://tinyurl.com/p6s7eku
Dog Days in The Fortunate Islands Amazon.com  http://tinyurl.com/pks9y5a
Prunes for Breakfast Amazon.co.uk  http://tinyurl.com/ot7r3sj

Prunes for Breakfast Amazon.com  https://tinyurl.com/y8ps23q5








1 comment:

  1. This one was great! I love the story behind the sculpture Dignity. What a beautiful piece! Your interview with John Searancke was my speed, down to earth and his first book, Dog Days in The Fortunate Islands sounds really good. I will have to put it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete