Wednesday, May 6, 2020

INTERVIEW: Author Abby Vandiver


Abby L. Vandiver
also writing as Abby Collette
South Euclid, Ohio
USA.


Good morning, Abby, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for art and authors and the people who love them. What have you written? 
I’ve written about twenty-five novels and short story. Most of them are cozy mystery, but I’ve also written alternative history, sci-fi and horror.

What is your favorite genre to write? 
Mystery

Favorite food. 
It used to be steak, pizza and chicken. Now I think it’s just chicken.

Tea or coffee? 
I don’t really drink either. Like both, and trying to learn to drink tea every day for health benefits. But if I had to pick, it would be coffee.

Pizza or ice cream? 
Lol. My book is about ice cream, so I’d have to choose that.


Where would you like to visit? 
Italy and Hawaii.

Both are nice, but Italy is a magical place. Rome, Venice, the Isle of Capri. Go. Go as soon as you can. Favorite musical artist.  
Levi Stubbs and Marvin Gaye 

Do you listen to music when you write? 
Yes! What? I like 60s R&B like Motown. I’ve heard other writers say they can’t listen to music with lyrics when they write, but I do and sometimes some of the lyrics find their way into my manuscript.

What makes you laugh? 
The TV show Monk. The movie Galaxy Quest. Hilarious.

My husband is the Ohio version of Mr. Monk. Who know he would be so social relevant? Favorite work of art or sculpture. 
I enjoy the work of the Impressionists. So, I’d say Monet or Manet are my favorites.

How old were you when you started writing? 
Late fifties.

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write? 
I pick names, decide who the murder victim and killer are and how they were killed and then I just write. Usually without a major plan.

Describe your perfect evening. 
Hanging out on the couch watching a good movie.

We have a Entertainment post on Thursdays on Vision and Verse. It might give you some good . Check it out! Where do you get your inspiration? 
From observations of others.

What do you do when you get a writer's block? 
I don’t get writer’s block. I may not  how to figure out a certain resolution to a scene, but I’m never stuck on what to write. But when I need to figure out a plot point, I walk or I drive. The calm of both makes my creative juices flow.

Who is your favorite author? 
I don’t have a favorite author. I may like an author’s book, but read another and don’t like that one. But I mostly read mystery. The last good book I read was by Celeste Ng. It was called Little Fires Everywhere. Excellent.

Best book you ever read. 
Maybe the Mirror by Marlys Millhiser. I haven’t read it in years, don’t know that I’d appreciate it now, but I know it has stuck with me from the time I read it. Not many things stick with me.


Last book you read. 
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.


What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer? 
I’d be retired!

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why? 
My ex-husband and my mother. They both gave me good advice and helped me to see who I really was.


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why? 
My mother. I miss her so much.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 
Finish your book! Then get a good editor.


Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Twitter: 


Link to my new book: bit.ly/ScoopPRH


Note:
Vision and Verse does not use cookies. We do not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. 






No comments:

Post a Comment