Wednesday, May 20, 2020

INTERVIEW: Scottish Author Maggie Reid





Maggie Reid
Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland,
Where young J.M. Barrie first found the inspiration
for Peter Pan



Welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for art and authors. Can you tell us a little about what you've written?
I have written "Dear Noah, the World", available on amazon paperback and kindle, the story of a young abandoned woman who loses custody of her son but against the odds fights to win him back.It's a story of powerful faith, un likely friendships, the the pain of being judged a failure. 
                                               
"Fearless Frangipan Circus Pie " the story of young Emile who wishes to escape her mundane life in the sleepy Irish town she lives in for excitement . She meets a young gypsy boy and runs away with a circus family with tragic consequences. 

"Michaelmas Angel", the story of Tilda who is sent to help alcoholic Rob regain control of his shambolic life. The story of a beautiful Earth Angel. 

"Serpent Girl Skye" and "The Sinister World of Zac Spyro" are also on Amazon . 

My  Children's book was nominated for The Peoples' Book Prize, London.  

What is your favorite genre to write?
I write Fiction, Literary Fiction, and Children's Fiction. 

Favorite food.
My favourite food...well it has to be home made pasta and crème brulee.  I  also love a good Patisserie!

Tea or coffee?
Coffee!  I love my coffee, but I am very particular. It has to be great tasting coffee!

Where would you like to visit?
I would like to visit Iceland. 


Favorite musical artist. 
My favourite Musical Artist is tricky as there are so many musicians that inspire me.  I do like the contemporary Composer : Alexis  FFrench (bluebird). I like Ludovico Einaudi also.  I like Laura Pergolizzi as a Singer/Songwriter, and Sia.


Do you listen to music when you write?
I listen to music when I write as I find it brings calm, and allows me to imagine the characters as if they are on screen . 

What makes you laugh?
Little things makes me happy: good home-made bread. I love focaccia bread or a lovely sandwich, stacked with cheeses and pickles.  I also love a hand written card or note, because it shows you have taken the time to make a person feel valued .  


Favorite work of art or sculpture.
An artist/sculptor that I find inspiring is Odani  Motohiko   He has a beautiful use of shape and understanding of space, and visually you can see the complexity of the structures he creates. Simplicity with originality is difficult to create but Odani Motohiko does so.

How old were you when you started writing?
I  started writing very young, at around five years old. I would draw little sketches in small scrapbooks   I would've never, ever imagined I would grow up to write novels . It would be unimaginable!

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?
I  have a "planning" notebook for key phrases, ideas for Character names, places and where I may see the story develop.  I use "vision boards "also. 

Describe your perfect evening.
A perfect evening would be a very chilled dinner and watching a movie or Theatre show. 

Where do you get your inspiration?
I find inspiration from my two children. I also find stories where others may not see it. I observe people , when I sit quietly with a cup of coffee (without a pen).  I am often working on a book by "watching ".


Who is your favorite author?
C. S. Lewis  is my favourite writer.  Intelligent. Insightful and showed humility. His work transcends time.
  
Best book you ever read.
One of my favourite books is "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe". 

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
If I had not written books, then I would be an Actor or Musician .  In fact I studied to be an Actor and have a Degree in Drama  from The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. I did think of training in Music as a Singer also.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
Well, my family, my children, my beloved Grandmother have all inspired me to be true to myself and work hard.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
My writing advice for any writer is this: I only began writing seriously aged forty. Writing is about drawing on your life experience, and who you have met. Pick up a pen and have belief that you can succeed. Rejection is part of being an Artist - embrace it! This is your journey. Writing a book is an amazing journey, and it allows you to see the world with a different perspective.  


Do you have some links for us to follow you?
I would love you to join my Facebook Page Maggie Reid (Scottish author).
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=maggie%20reid%20(scottish%20author)&epa

Amazon:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1500537055/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i3


Note:

Vision and Verse does not use cookies. We do not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely interview. I have read all Maggie's work to date with great enjoyment and highly recommend it to people of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky we got a chance to get to know Maggie better, Mikey Crikey. She is a gem!

      Delete