Wednesday, August 26, 2020

INTERVIEW: Mystery and Sci-Fi Author Diane Rapp


Diane Rapp
North Carolina 
U.S.A.


Good morning, Diane, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for Art and Author and those who love them. Can you tell us a little about what you've written?  
I have written and self-published eleven novels plus one game book.

What is your favorite genre to write?
I write mysteries and science fiction depending on which characters start telling their story to me.

Favorite food.
I find it hard to resist potato chips.

Tea or coffee?
I prefer iced tea

Pizza or ice cream?
Pizza

Wine or beer?
Wine, the fruity kind.



Where would you like to visit?
Would like to visit Williamsburg, VA where my family lives.  We miss seeing them due to Covid 19.


Favorite musical artist. 
Jimmy Buffett 

Do you listen to music when you write? 
No, but that’s a good idea. 
What?  
A Buffett album would work.

What makes you laugh?
The antics of my standard poodle while he chases a Frisbee.


Favorite work of art or sculpture.
I love sculptures of birds.  We have several sculptures in brass by an New Mexico artist Boris Gilbertson.

How old were you when you started writing?
I started writing seriously in my late thirties.  I had insomnia due to stress at work and writing stories helped me fall asleep.



Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?  
I think about a story for a long time, mostly visualizing the characters.  When I’m ready, I write short descriptions of characters, and a timeline of what I think will happen.  When I start the story, things often change.

Describe your perfect evening. 
Dinner, wine, and a movie with my husband.  Hope the movie theaters open soon.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I watch nature films (a lot of my work involves animals), I take a cruise (I have a whole series that takes place on cruise ships), or I watch documentaries about real people.  Anything might send my mind into a different direction. I wrote an historical/mystery novel after reading a real diary of a woman travel writer in the 1800s.

What do you do when you get writer's block?  
I read a book by one of my favorite authors and try to get into the mood again.  Something I plan to do right away.

Who is your favorite author?
Anne McCaffery, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Agatha Christie


Best book you ever read.
“West With the Night” by Beryle Markham 
She wrote the most incredible descriptions of Africa. It is worthy of reading over and over again for inspiration.

Last book you read.
I just read “The Cottonwood Mystery Series” by author Dianne Harman. She makes a reader get really invested in her heroine.

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
I used to be a Realtor, so probably would do that again.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
Corey has been a loving husband for 51 years.  He has been my cheerleader and biggest supporter all these years. 

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
Agatha Christie.  Her mysteries have kept me company in good times and bad, and her writing inspired me to pursue my own stories.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Read and enjoy the kind of books you would like to write.  After reading the first time, read each book again to spot writing techniques that make a reader invested in the characters, afraid, emotional, or happy.  How did the author do each?  Take a scene from your own work and try to revise it to accomplish one or more of these tasks.

Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Twitter:  @dianerapp




VISIONANDVERSEDISCLAIMER:
Note:

Vision and Verse does not use cookies. We do not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment