Wednesday, February 10, 2021

INTERVIEW: Sci-Fi Author Michael A. Bolinger


Michael A. Bolinger

 Houston, Texas

USA

 



Good morning, Michael, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the blog for authors and art and those who love them. Can you tell me a little about your book?

I have one Sci-Fi/Fantasy book out entitled, “The Doxan” and I’m currently working on a sequel.


 

What is your favorite genre to write?

Sci-Fi is definitely my favorite genre to both read and write.



Favorite food.

My favorite food is Italian.  I’ve never met a carbohydrate I didn’t like.

 



Tea or coffee?

Tea (sweetened or unsweetened) is my drink of choice.



Pizza or ice cream?

Tough choice.  Today, I’m going to say ice cream.  But if you ask me tomorrow you might get a different answer.

 


Wine or beer?

Definitely wine.

 



Where would you like to visit?

I love to travel and see new places.  I’d like to visit Norway, Sweden and Finland as I haven’t yet been there.  In the Sci-Fi/Fantasy world, I’d love to visit Pandora (from the 2009 movie, “Avatar”) and Rivendell (from J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel, “Lord of the Rings”).

 

 

Favorite musical artist.  

Another tough question.  I’m an eclectic music lover, meaning I love many different artists in many different music genres.  But if I had to narrow it down to a single artist it would probably be Pentatonix.

 



Do you listen to music when you write?  What?

No, I absolutely don’t.  I love to write and I love to listen to music but the two are mutually exclusive.  When I write, I’m mentally drawn in to forming the storyline and character dialog.  Anything else in that moment would be a distraction.

 





What makes you laugh?

I’m easily amused at myself and the antics of my fictional characters.

 


Because this is an art and author blog, I am obligated to ask: Favorite work of art or sculpture.

My favorite painting is Quiet Night by John Harris.

 

 

How old were you when you started writing?

I started writing song lyrics and poetry in my teens but I never took myself as a serious writer until my late 30s when I began writing technical documents.  It took me another two decades to realize there was a serious science-fiction writer inside me who wanted an outlet.

 


Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?

Years of technical writing has developed in me a discipline of using outlines.  First, I’ll rough a high-level outline of the book, and then as I start each chapter I’ll do a more detailed outline of that chapter.  However, as the storyline progresses the outline is fully subject to the whims of my fictional characters.


 

Describe your perfect evening.

My perfect evening exists in a COVID-free world.  It includes a romantic dinner with my spouse followed by a good movie or concert.

 


Where do you get your inspiration?

My inspiration comes from my life experiences.  The people I’ve met, the places I’ve been, the books I’ve read, the dreams I’ve dreamed, the love, the laughter and the loss have all conspired to inspire me.



 

What do you do when you get a writer's block?

For me, writer’s block is when my fictional characters won’t talk to me, and insomnia is when they won’t shut up.  If they aren’t talking to me, I’ll do something that takes my mind off my writing such as read a book, watch a movie, listen to music, or go for a nature hike.  But if my fictional characters won’t shut up, then I’m awake half the night.

 



Who is your favorite author?

I’ve read many great authors but my favorite is Dan Brown.

 

 

He is one of my favorites, also. He never disappoints. Best book you ever read.

“Einstein - His Life and Universe” by Walter Isaacson.

 


I'm not familiar with that one. I'll have to add it to my list. Last book you read.

I’m currently reading “1633,” a military science fiction novel by David Weber & Eric Flint.  It’s the first time I’ve read anything by either author.  I just happened across the novel in a local used book store.



 


What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?

I have a day job as well as write.  Any non-writing job would have to be somehow related to science and/or technology.

 

 





Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?

My wife.  She believed in me before I believed in myself.

 


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

I would enjoy a conversation with Lieutenant Commander Data from Star Trek and have a deep-dive discussion about humanity and the human condition.  With his superior intellect, he could provide an “outsider’s” (non-human) perspective that would truly be fascinating.

 


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?

(1)                 Write, write, write.  There’s no better way to improve your writing skills than by actually writing.  I’m not against taking a writing course, but understand that it’s not a substitute for actually putting pen to paper.  Also, understand that there’s nothing you can learn in a writing course that you can’t learn from experience and by hanging out with other writers (consider joining a local writing club).

(2)                 Read, read, read.  Reading expands your horizons and gives you real-life examples of how other authors write.  Focus on reading authors who write in the same genre in which you wish to write.

(3)                 Bond with your story.  In other words, write a story that stirs you, that inspires you, that speaks to you.  If your story doesn’t speak to YOU, then don’t count on it to speak to others.  Finally, don’t confuse pride of authorship with the bonding process.  They’re two totally separate things.  Your writing should stir something within you OTHER than the fact that you wrote it.

 

 

Do you have some links for us to follow you?

 

Amazon Author Page:  https://amazon.com/author/michaelbolinger

 

Facebook Author Page:  https://www.facebook.com/michaelbolingerauthor

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/20139379.Michael_A_Bolinger





 










VISIONANDVERSEDISCLAIMER:

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.









No comments:

Post a Comment