Wednesday, February 23, 2022

INTERVIEW: Egyptian Historical Fantasy Author Engy M. Donia



Good Morning, Engy M. Donia, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for Art and Authors. Can you tell us a little about yourself?

First, I would like introduce myself to the readers. I’m an Egyptian author and historian. Married and a mom of two amazing boys. I have a bachelor degree in business administration, but I didn’t take business as a career.



I grew up in a house full of books, because my grandfather was a great historian. I still remember the first time I asked him for a book to read and he gave book about ancient Egypt history, since that day, I’ve become obsessed with my ancestor’s history. And four years ago, I decided to pour my obsession onto pages, so I wrote my first novel ‘Birdees and the bracelet of the five gods’ it’s young adults and teens historical fantasy novel, based on real Egyptian figures (Kings, queens, priests) lived from thousands of years during the old kingdom. Also based on real prophecies, real spells from the book of the dead, real schools of magic, they were temples actually, and real antagonist, a sorcerer; his name was deliberately obliterated from the ancient papyrus scrolls. You can say; it’s a mix of adventure, time travel, magic, mythical creatures, sense of humor. It has multiple main characters form all ages, and doesn’t contain bad language or erotica, because I wanted to write a book my kids can read too.

And a few months ago, the book published traditionally by a major publishing house in U.S.A https://penitpublications.com

Available as a paperback and e-book on the publisher’s website, Amazon, Barnes&Noble, e-bay, just google the book title and you’ll find it in many bookstores across the globe.     


  


What is your favorite genre to write?

Historical fantasy.

 




Favorite food.

The Egyptian food of course! 




Tea or coffee?

Tea, especially during writing.




Pizza or ice cream?

Pizza!

 


Wine or beer or soda or what?

Soda, fresh juice.



Where would you like to visit?

China! Because it has a great, long ancient history, just like Egypt.



Favorite musical artist.

Celine Dion. I love her!!

  


Do you listen to music when you write?  What?

No, just a quiet place is all I need to write.



What makes you laugh?

My kids! When they speak seriously, or try to give opinions relate to adults’ issues. 

They’re my life, I love them so much!!

                                        


Favorite work of art or sculpture.

As I’m Egyptian, it’s hard to mention just one. Ancient Egyptians were masters in the art of sculpture, in fact, they were the first ones. And one look at the massive statues of the ancient Egyptian kings at the temples of Luxor, Aswan, or Nefertiti’s bust, or Tutankhamun’s mask and coffin, you’ll definitely believe me!  

 


How old were you when you started writing?

I wrote a few short stories and poems during high school, but I kept them for myself. Then I got married, got kids, I couldn’t write but I kept reading history books. 

Now, the kids started to grow up, depend on themselves, I finally got time for myself to write.

 



Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?

I usually write down the main plot, main idea my book based on it, then I leave my characters to lead and show me the way while I’m writing.

 


Describe your perfect evening.

My perfect evening when my husband and I spend the night watching a horror movie with a big bowl of popcorn, after the kids go to sleep of course!


 


Where do you get your inspiration?

Ancient Egypt history.

 


What do you do when you get a writer's block?

I leave my manuscript for a while, and read, a lot, books in my genre. Reading, always works for me.



Who is your favorite author?

J. k. Rowling.        



Best book you ever read.

Harry Potter.



Last book you read.

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth.



What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?

I think I would walk the business path.


Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?

My grandfather. He was a great historian. I used to see him writing and reading all day, and because of him, I fell in love with books.



If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

Oh, that’s a hard question! Because there’re many, mostly from the ancient time! 

I would love to meet, King Userkaf, he was the high priest of god Ra. He established the Fifth dynasty in ancient Egypt, and he’s one of my main characters.

 I chose him because his rule faced conflicts, conspiracies, and mysteries surrounded him. He even ascended the throne by a revolution against king Khufu’s rule.  


 

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?

Believe in yourselves, in your work, and read! You will be amazed how reading can improve your writing.

 


Do you have some links for us to follow you?

Yes, my Facebook author page, which dedicated only to ancient Egypt history. https://www.facebook.com/EngyM.Donia/

Or @Engy M.Donia

Also you can reach me on Good reads https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/58113982-birdees-and-the-bracelet-of-the-five-gods









VISION AND VERSE DISCLAIMER

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment