Wednesday, June 1, 2022

INTERVIEW: Crime Thriller Author Avery Emerson Lee


Avery Emerson Lee

Texas

 USA


 

Good morning, Avery, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for art and authors and those who love them. Can you tell us a little about what you've written?


 Four Books:

William Jefferson Dupree and Betsy Marie: The Muse

Angelina Fire: A Texas Football Saga

Crimes of Passion: Jon-Michael Havard, Texas Ranger

Paradise Lost: The Legend Dies but the Music Lives

 


Nine Kindle Vella stories:          

Rebirth: Rise of the Butterfly

Evangeline

The Ghost of Emerald Grove

Royal LeRoy Bleu

For the Love of Grace

Twenty-Five Love Street

The Ides of March

Pamela Bell: Justice for All

Chicago: An Unauthorized Biography

 

Most of these Kindle Vella stories will become a novel. For the Love of Grace, Twenty-Five Love Street, and Pamela Bell: Justice for All will become books this year.



 

What is your favorite genre to write?

Crime Thrillers or Action Adventure 


 

Favorite food

Tex-Mex   



Tea or coffee?

Just Ice Water

 



Pizza or ice cream?

Pizza

 


Wine or beer or soda or what?

Water

 


Where would you like to visit?

Greece and Italy 

 


Favorite musical artist.  

Chicago

 



Do you listen to music when you write?  What?

I have written, recorded, and produced music since the mid-70s. I have many albums under my legal name (Emory Atkins) available on most streaming services including Apple, Spotify, and Amazon. I listen to my own new age and pop instrumental recordings while I write. 

 





What makes you laugh?

The old comedians, most of whom are deceased. 

•Robin Williams

•George Carlin                                  








Favorite work of art or sculpture.

Vincent Van Gogh's ‘The Starry Night’ and 

Claude Monet - Pleasure Boats at Argenteuili





How old were you when you started writing?

I began writing music at the age of 19 and performed as a professional musician under my given name since high school. I wrote three unpublished books in the ‘90s but didn’t restart my work as a novelist until 2017.

 


Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? 

Or just write?

It depends on the scope of the project and the inspiration. 

 

My first book is a second chance romantic story based, in part, on my life. Of course, it is a work of fiction, but I fill the pages with descriptions of my relationship with a woman I met in 1979. I outlined the story and followed the script. 


My second book was also scripted in advance. It’s a story about a high school football team in Texas. It was my first murder mystery. 


The last two books are a part of a four-book series that are crime novels. These stories are completely organic; therefore, the plot is fluid from start to finish. 


 


Describe your perfect evening.

Dinner and a movie with my wife, or an evening with my seven-month-old granddaughter. We have three large Labrador Retrievers that share our home. When I write, they sit under my feet, and when I sleep, they share the bed. We take many long walks with our dogs.

 

 

Where do you get your inspiration?

When I was a little boy, my mother sent me to the county library on the weekends to hear storytellers weave intriguing tales from long ago. One of those wise old storytellers once told me to always add a bit of myself into everything I write. 

                                                      


What do you do when you get writer's block?

I write four hours a day, six to seven days a week. When I’m not writing, I’m in the studio recording music for future albums. My mind never slows down although, at my age, I sometimes forget minor some characters names. 

 


Who is your favorite author?

I am listing my favorite living authors in order because I don’t have just one favorite author:

Stephen King

James Patterson 

David Baldacci 

Dan Brown

 



Best book you ever read.

1776 by David McCullough (non-fiction)

The Green Mile by Stephen King (fiction)

 


Last book you read.

Redemption by David Baldacci

 



What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?

I’m a retired musician and teacher. If I didn’t write I would simply record music as I have for decades. 

 


Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?

My mother. She was born in 1920 and died in 1995. I was born late in her life in 1959. She was my inspiration. 

 

 

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

Abraham Lincoln. He is the greatest President of all time and he dared to fight for the Union and emancipate those in bondage. He became a martyr because he dared to promote and sign the 13th Amendment. He wasn’t a perfect man but his legacy will never be surpassed. 


 



What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?

Learn what it takes to be a good writer. Study the art of writing and read books by great storytellers, especially the dead ones. Don’t be afraid to take chances but always remember many of your readers expect you to follow the mechanics and norms of your craft.

 

 




Do you have some links for us to follow you?

Instagram: Avery.Emerson.le4

Twitter: @averyemersonle1

TikTok: @avery.emerson.lee.author

Linktree: https://linkfly.to/403211yr3Hw














VISION AND VERSE DISCLAIMER

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment