Wednesday, September 21, 2022

INTERVIEW: Fantasy Author D. L. Gardner



D.L. Gardner

I live in the beautiful 

Pacific Northwest.


 

Good morning, D.L. And welcome to Vision and Verse. What have you written?

I have written two fantasy series and a many stand alone novels in the fantasy, historical and historical fantasy, mystery and romance genres.


 

What is your favorite genre to write?  

Everything I write has a fantastical element to it, so I guess I can easily answer that as fantasy.


 

Favorite food

Barbecued ribs

 


Tea or coffee?

Herbal tea


 

Pizza or ice cream?

Non-dairy ice cream

 


Wine or beer or soda or what?

Gatorade


 

Where would you like to visit?

A remote vineyard in Italy

 


Favorite musical artist. 

David Garett 

 

Do you listen to music when you write?  What?

Yes. Pandora the Bear McCreary radio

 


What makes you laugh?

Running on the beach on a windy day.



 

Favorite work of art or sculpture.
John Singer Sargent’s Capri Girl on a Rooftop

 

How old were you when you started writing?

12


 

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?

I plan with outlines and maps.

 



Describe your perfect evening.

The sun is setting and the entire earth glows gold. I sit along the bank of a creek far away from anywhere and crickets sing. My fishing line bobs as an old bass nibbles my bait. Lightning bugs flicker, waiting for dark, and the warmth of the summer’s day sighs into the cool of twilight.

 


Where do you get your inspiration?

Nature, mostly. And human nature.


 

What do you do when you get a writer's block?

Go for a walk, or eat. 


 

Who is your favorite author?

C.S. Lewis but I have others, like Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, and Joe Abercrombie.


 

Best book you ever read.

Half a King by Joe Abercrombie.   


 

Last book you read.

Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (I’m reading the series again).

 



What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?

Work in film. I love being on set.

 



Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?

My husband because he is the sweetest most forgiving person I’ve ever met. He teaches me to be kinder.

 



If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

 I’d love to talk with C.S. Lewis. He was such a wise and compassionate man. I’d love to listen to his stories.


 





What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?

Read. A lot! And study your craft. Be critical of your own work and take your time. Enjoy the process of learning and improving.



 





Do you have some links for us to follow you?

https://gardnersart.com 
https://www.patreon.com/DLGardner

https://dianneg.substack.com/

https://twitter.com/



 















 











 


VISION AND VERSE DISCLAIMER

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.










No comments:

Post a Comment