Wednesday, June 14, 2023

INTERVIEW: Science Fiction Fantasy Author Neil Herndon


Neil Herndon
Illinois
USA


 

Good morning, Neil, and welcome to Vision and Verse. Can you tell us a little about what you’ve written? 
Currently, I have 16 novels available on amazon, though that number grows every year. Primarily my focus is full-length novels, however I am comfortable with nearly every form of prose.

 
What is your favorite genre to write? 
I would say that’s probably split between science fiction and fantasy. Both have distinct advantages, and allow me to explore different themes.
                                                                            


Favorite food. 
Normally, I’d probably say pizza, but some health issues have come up that prevent me from indulging. 
 

Tea or coffee? 
Oh, tea, definitely. A lovely gunpowder green will always get me going. 
 

Pizza or ice cream? 
Between the two, pizza. But, in the last couple of years, I’ve developed a pretty severe food allergy. Yeast. That means no bread, no dairy, no sugar, and no fermentation. 
 

Try the cauliflower crust pizza. Wine or beer or soda or what? 
Thanks to my food allergy, it’s water for me. Or some version of it, like sparkling or mineral. Was never really a beer person before things got bad.
 

Me, neither. Where would you like to visit? 
I’ve been fortunate in my life to visit a number of amazing places across the globe. Moving forward, I’d love to see somewhere like Japan or Egypt.
 

Favorite musical artist. 
But…there’s so many. I don’t really choose favorites when the pool is so big, because there’s no one right answer. Same with movies.  
 

Do you listen to music when you write?  What?
 I absolutely listen to music. Though, in an effort to keep voices separate, the singer and my characters, I only listen to instrumental music while writing. That way the only people I hear are in the book. 
 

What makes you laugh? 
Sarcasm, cat videos…actually, quite a bit makes me laugh.
 

Favorite work of art or sculpture. 
For paintings it would probably be either Starry Night or Liberty Leading the People. For sculptures, I’d probably say the Thinker.
 




The Thinker is my favorite, too. How old were you when you started writing? 
First book I ever wrote was for a state-wide competition. I believe I was 9 or 10 at the time. 
 

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write? 
My books always start with a plan. There’s a synopsis and fairly detailed outline, but I’m a big believer in organic storytelling, so the end result doesn’t always follow that original outline. 
 

Describe your perfect evening.                     
Sitting outside, looking up at the stars. But no bugs. There’s just something about being outside in the cool autumn air, surrounded by quiet with the majesty of the night’s sky overhead. 

 
Where do you get your inspiration? 
got a pretty active imagination, so a lot of my ideas come from my brain just asking ‘what if’. Something will catch my attention, and an idea will snowball from there. 
 

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
Take a break. First and foremost. Let my thoughts percolate. Hopefully, inspiration will strike and I can move forward. If not, I sort of muddle through, hoping that I stumble into the right answer. If not, at least there’s something on the page. Even if it’s not right. 

 
Who is your favorite author? 
Tough call. But, just like music, I don’t think I can narrow it down to just one. Top five, maybe, but there’s no one author that I can just read forever. 
 

Best book you ever read. 
a big fan of the classics. They bear that title for a reason. Of them, I’d probably lean towards The Invisible Man by HG Wells, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne, or Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

 

Last book you read.
 
A collection of HP Lovecraft stories.
 
What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer? 
Well, I started getting a Bachelors’ degree in film editing before switching officially to writing, so probably go back to that. Considering editing is another form of storytelling, seems like a good fit. 
 

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why? 
This might sound like an excuse, but I’m not sure I can narrow it down to just one person. I’ve been extremely lucky. Everyone in my personal life has been supportive of my choices. I’ve received nothing but encouragement to chase my dream8. And that has been so valuable along this journey. 


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why? 
There’s a big difference between my choices, but Lincoln or Jules Verne. Lincoln, just to hear him talk, listen to stories, and to pick his brain about choices. Verne to discuss his work, the choices he made, and what drove him. What everyone wants to know I suppose. Where did his ideas come from? Where did he get inspiration? That sort of thing. 
 

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 
stop, and don’t shy away from criticism. Don’t stop pursuing the dream, and don’t stop bettering yourself. The more a writer writes, the better their work gets. And paired with learning from critiques, they become even better. So many people see critiques or negative comments as an attack. Something personal. But it’s not. At least, it’s not supposed to be. When I was working on my Masters degree, so many of the students thought this. We couldn’t criticize or point out flaws, or they would feel attacked. But it’s not. Criticism is there to make a book better. Readers will find plot holes anywhere and everywhere, and it’s our job to take that in and fix them. To accept that we missed something. It really does make an author better to see some of that. To have the holes pointed out. Because we know how to fix them the next time. 
 

Do you have some links for us to follow you?

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Neil-Herndon/author/B0069F8AO8

https://www.facebook.com/neil.herndon/

www.tyburnhillmedia.com

https://www.facebook.com/TyburnHillMedia/

 



























VISION AND VERSE DISCLAIMER

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.




No comments:

Post a Comment