Friday, May 31, 2013

IT'S ALL ABOUT PAINTING



                                       
                                         "NIGHT MUSIC"  by Parker Kaufman

Famous quotes about painting.


"A good painting to me, has always been like a friend.  It keeps me company, comforts, and inspires."
---Hedy Lamarr

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do."
---Edgar Degas

"Painting is a blind man's profession.  He paints not what he sees, but what he feels, what he tells himself about what he sees."
---Pablo Picasso

"Painting is a faith,and it imposes the duty to disregard public opinion."
---Vincent van Gogh

"When I judge art, I take my painting and put it next to a God made object like a tree or flower.  If it clashes, it is not art."
---Paul Cezanne

"I have no fear of making changes, destroying the image, etc., because the painting has a life of its own."
---Jackson Pollock

"Good painting is the kind that looks like sculpture."
---Michelangelo

"No one is an artist unless he carries his picture in his head before painting it, and is sure of his method and composition."
---Claude Monet

"Painting is an illusion, a piece of magic, so what you see is not what you see."
---Philip Guston

"I dream a lot.  I do more painting when I am not painting.  It's in the subconscious."
---Andrew Wyeth

"I was not out to paint beautiful pictures, even painting good pictures was not important to me.  I wanted only to help the truth burst forth."
---Alice Miller





 

4 comments:

  1. I especially like the quote from Degas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Van Gogh knew what he was talking about ;-). I love this one and would really like a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Poppy for commenting. We are always encouraged by new readers/commentors. The Degas quote is particularly meaninful to me because when I seriously started making art, I believed the opposite. I felt that the more I knew about making art the easier it would be...but Degas was so right. Thank you once again for visiting and adding to the conversation. We hope you continue to find our blog full of posts that interest you.

    Parker

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rocketwoofer1. One of the most difficult aspects of being an artist is giving no thought to what the public thinks about your work. It is very easy to become disillusioned when you base your talents and abilities on such opinions. The second pitfuall is comparing your own work to that of others that you admire. As an artist, I am never satidfied with the final results, so comparing my work to others would most likely cause me to quit making art altogether. Thanks kindly for commenting, it's encouraging to see your continued support.

    ReplyDelete