Monday, June 10, 2013

Author Interview with Emilia Julian

Emilia Julian
Kinsman, OH

What have you written?

     "God's Prey" and "The Legacy of Egypt"

What is your favorite genre to write?

     Mystery

Favorite food.

     Anything with sugar in it.

Where would you like to visit?

     Anywhere, everywhere.  I would love to take a longboat trip through the rivers in France.

Briefly describe your career in journalism.

     Thirty years, writing and editing for the Youngstown Vindicator, Youngstown, OH, and the Tribune Chronicle, Warren, OH; executive editor Thomson Newspapers' Town Crier weeklies;
copy editor, USA Today.

Favorite musical artist.

     Elvis

How old were you when you started writing?

     I was fourteen.  I published an article in Western Horseman magazine at sixteen.

Where do you get your inspiration?

     From my own life, history, news stories.

What do you do when you get writer's block?

     Well, I don't know.  I get one every time it's crucial not to get writer's block.  On deadlines, etc. 

Who is your favorite author?

     For years it was a toss-up between Mary Stewart and Daphne du Maurier.  Today it's Julia Spencer-Fleming, Donna Leon, and always, always Agatha Christie. 

Best book you ever read.

     Rebecca

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?

     My mother set the tone for my behavior.  My father let me know it was okay to be both smart and female.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

     God.  I would ask him/her one word:  Why?

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a write?

     Write.  John D. MacDonald, who wrote the popular Travis McGee mystery series in the 70s, told me in an interview once that  "you can't learn to write."  You either are a writer or you are not.  You won't know unless you write.

Where can your work be purchased?

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Prey-ebook/dp/B006CRVW8O/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1370052959&sr=8-26&keywords=Gods%27+Prey
Pres

A review of "God's Prey"

Gods' Prey
www.amazon.com
     The offer to help research the genealogy of a prominent Ohio family seems like the perfect opportunity to help librarian Amanda Elliot to heal after losing her beloved husband. But from the first day she arrives at Poynter House, Mandy senses something is terribly out of kilter. 




2 comments:

  1. A Writer must Write, as a Chicken must Lay Eggs...
    Thanks, fellow writer Carol Ann Kauffman, for reminding me that I do, too, have time to blog. If you have time to blog while writing a series of lovely romances; if Tom Wills has time to blog while creating art work and presiding over art shows while holding down a fulltime job as well; if Diane Laney Fitzpatrick has time to blog and finish a book while moving from Florida to San Francisco, surely I can find a few moments...?

    The trouble with being a writer is, you gotta write if you want to keep the title. And I write all the time: ad copy, newsletter copy, even an honest-to-God Egyptian studbook for Arabian horses. But writing -- well, that's something else. That takes concentration and reflection. And quiet. All of which are hard to find among the din of my three dogs, two cats, and barnful of horses.

    But (she said proudly) I have finished one novel, a story I began several years ago. I have another one half-done, and a genuine professional agent waiting to see the rest of it -- but I've set it aside to try to complete yet a third book, this one a fictionalized version of a real murder case.

    Life, however, intrudes. There's work-for-pay intrusion, and let's-go-to-Italy intrusion, and better-pay-some-attention to-this-200-year-old-house intrusion. Sometimes there's let's-do-a-play-and-throw-our-schedule-into-chaos-for-two-month intrusion. So the job jar suffers.

    But I promise to try to keep up from now on. For you, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, Em, are a dynamo and an inspiration to us all. Love your blog too Long may you blog, amica mia.
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete