Sunday, June 30, 2013

Author Interview with Serenity Valle


Serenity Valle
Chesapeake, VA

What have you written? 

I have completed The Fantastical Life of Serenity: A collection of short stories about what could be… but not quite is. It is to be released in eBook formats on 2 July and in paperback shortly after. I have also completed a novella companion to this book, which is in the editing stage at the moment, and am currently working on a Paranormal Mystery/Romance which will be a five book series.


What is your favorite genre to write? 

Well, I love short stories, that is what I started off writing, but honestly I love writing paranormal mystery! My husband says I spin a good sex scene, too.


Favorite food. 

Chicken Tikka Masala with some samosa on the side (with cilantro chutney of course!)


Where would you like to visit? 

Gosh, everywhere! I have a few musts on my list though: India, Korea, Russia and the Ukraine, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, Australia, and AndalucĂ­a Spain. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few!



Favorite musical artist. 

Wow… I don’t know that I have a favourite. I listen to all kinds of music, Bollywood and other Indian music, Celtic, Spanish, 1920’s, some new stuff, classic rock, K-Pop, Japanese rock, French-Indonesian and many others.


How old were you when you started writing? 

I was seven! I used to write cute little short stories in school notebooks. I would illustrate them as well, but the drawings weren’t good.


Where do you get your inspiration? 

I always used to say that my own life was a Lifetime movie in the making, so I often get my inspiration from things that I’ve gone through. The good thing about doing this is that I can take a bad situation that I endured in the past and if I write about it, I can change it and make it happy, or at least better!


What do you do when you get a writer's block? 

I am never working on just one thing at a time, so when I get a block, I simply go to another project and work on it. I haven’t yet encountered a full-on block, I don’t know what I would do if I did, maybe go crazy, ha ha.


Who is your favorite author? 

This is a hard one! I read so many different types of books, I doubt I could name a favourite author. I read paranormal, mystery, crime, thrillers, horror, medical mysteries, quirky romance, sci-fi, fantasy, non-fiction (psychological case studies, crime studies, etc). I’m a well-rounded reader.


Best book you ever read. 

I think I would have to say The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton. I say that because I read it 21 times and still to this day remember the opening sentence!


Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why? 

I am going to have to combine two people into one here and say my adoptive parents, Barry and Judy. They raised me from the time I was a newborn and always encouraged me to follow my dreams. They told me to never give up on something that I really wanted and instructed me to look for new creative ways to get there if and when I hit a dead end.


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why? 

Again I must combine. My birth parents, Jerry and Jacqueline. They gave me up because they truly could not at the time give me a good, whole life with them. They cared enough to find a couple who could, but never stopped thinking of me. Jackie died when I was only 5, but Jerry looked for me for many years, until he too passed away. I never got to meet them. I have met most of that part of my family and do keep in touch with them, but I would love to have the chance to talk to my birth parents, mostly just because they are my biological parents.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 

Don’t give up! If you hit a roadblock, don’t let it stop you. Take a breather and get right back at it. Also, network! Having a business network of other writers, editors, publishers, cover artists, bloggers and promoters can be a treasure trove! Especially in the Indie community, I think people are more willing to help out another simply because they’ve “been there”. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of others who have gone before you. One can never have too much information about a subject, no matter what it is.

Do you have a cover photo you'd like to share with us?

Yes, I do!





Do you any links you would like to share with us?

Twitter: @SerenityValle

No comments:

Post a Comment