Friday, July 5, 2013

Author Interview with Stuart R. West


Stuart R. West
Mission, Godforsaken Kansas


What have you written?

I've written "Tex, the Witch Boy," a Young Adult paranormal,
thriller, murder mystery, comedic drama, romance, kitchen-sink
deal.  But it's really about high school bullying.  It's the first of a 
trilogy.  The second one, "Tex and the Gangs of Suburbia" is due
out next month (July) by my publisher, MuseItUp Publishing.  The
third will be out in December.  All are murder mysteries dealing 
topical teen issues.  And, unusual for the genre, told from the male
viewpoint. 

What is your favorite genre to write? 

My favorite genre to write is dark suspense, no matter the age
group.  I've written four YA thrillers and three adult thrillers.

Who is your favorite musical artist?

Can't say I have a fave musical artist, as it changes with the times.
Right now, I'm partial to Arcade of Fire, Florence and the 
Machine, and the whole new alt-folk movement (The Lumineers,
etc.)

When did you start writing?

I started writing in grade school.  Didn't make it the real deal until
late in life.

Where do you get your inspiration?

Inspiration comes from many areas.  My wife, my daughter, 
headlines, other writers, bad genre fils from the 60's and 70's,
current politics (VERY nightmarish).

What do you do when you get writer's block?

Oddly enough, I don't suffer from writer's block.  I'm always 
ready to blather on.  However, my constant friend, 
"procrastination" is another issue entirely.

Who is your favorite author?

My favorite author?  That changes, as well.  Right now, I'm
enjoying Stephen King books I haven't read before.  The Hunger
Games trilogy was impressive.  And I've been delving into John
Farris' backlog.

Best book you ever read.

Probably an antiquated issue of Playboy magazine I stumbled
across when I was twelve.  I studies every inch of that mag (even
the short stories.

That doesn't count!  Try again.

Okay.  Let's try Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird."  It had the
heart, humor, social relevance, and mystery that I strive for in my
tales.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the
most, and why?

Gah!  SO many people have influenced me, I can't single out one.
In writing, Harper Lee, Stephen King, and Joss Whedon (a strange
unholy trio, I know.)  Personally, my wife, my daughter, and my
late father, probably (and always in retrospect.  I'm kinda' dumb
that way).

If you could sit down and have a conversation with one person, 
living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

I'd probably like to have a beer with Lee Harvey Oswald.  I'd say,
"Lee, what REALLY happened on that grassy knoll?"  

What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

For aspiring writers, I'd tell them the usual cliche'...don't give up.
And don't do it for the cash.  Write because you want to and you
have to (um, was that pretentious?).




Would you like to share your covers with us?



Do you have any links you'd like to share with us?

Blog (where you can read about dumb stuff that's on my mind like just how large is Mickey Mouse):http://stuartrwest.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment