Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Author Interview with Brooke Williams

Brooke Williams
Plattsmouth, Nebraska


What have you written?

Full-length Novels:  Someone Always Loves You, Beyond the Bars, God in the Kitchen
Short Novels:  Taxi delivery, Mending Fences, Mending Hearts
Hundreds of blogs for GoodbyeCrutches.com and numerous other articles all over the internet.

What is your favorite genre to write?

I like dramatic fiction.  It could be a love story, a family drama, a thriller or something else.  As long as there is some sort of drama I'm happy writing it.

Favorite food.

Ice cream.  Chocolate.  Anything bad for you.

Where would you like to visit?

I've always wanted to go to Australia.  I love the accent and would already know the language when visiting.  Such a long plane ride, though.

Favorite musical artist.

Jars of Clay with Third Day as a close second.

What makes you laugh?

My four-year-old daughter... on a daily basis.  She comes up with the craziest things to say.  Sometimes they are almost logical, but hearing her say them just seems hilarious.

How old were you when you started writing?

I've been writing as long as I can remember.  There was a writing center in my elementary school.  We would write stories and the volunteers would type a sentence or two per page and then we would illustrate and bind them into books.  I have a couple dozen of those books.  I also used to write 'magazines' with a friend.  We would cut pictures out of real magazines and glue them into notebooks and write stories about that picture.

Where do you get your inspiration?

From all sorts of things around me.  I feel like I mainly get my inspiration from the story itself.  I'll have an idea and the characters and story lines bug me until I write them down.  I am inspired by situations or people around me as well that I fictionalize and change to create a story.  A lot of what I write are things I have experienced in some ways or another.  Course, there are plenty of story lines that I completely make up as well.  That's the great part about fiction!

What do you do when you get writer's block?

I don't know that I've ever had that.  My writing time is limited so I have to type as fast as I can! The characters lead me to where they want to go.  It might not always turn out well for the overall story, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let a little road block stop me!

Who is your favorite author?

I love Richard Paul Evans and Karen Kingsbury.  There are many others, but those two are probably my favorites.

Best book you ever read.

The Time Traveler's Wife.  It was such a puzzle for the author to put together.  I devoured it, though it was very long.

Who is the one person who has influences your personal life the most and why?

My mom is a huge influence on me and always has been.  She's the best mom anyone could ever have.  She has done everything for me and would do anything for me.  She has encouraged my writing over the years and anything else I've wanted to do.  SHe's more than a mom to me... she's my best friend.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

That's a hard one.  I think at this point I'd say my husband. Haha.  We have two young girls and I have found that we rarely get to talk anymore because one of them always needs something.  In order to communicate, we e-mail here and there because when we are together we forget what needs to be said.  Actually, sitting down and talking to him would be a luxury.

What advice would you give to someone who aspired to be a writer?

Just write.  Forget about what everyone says and just sit down and do it.  If you feel it needs to be written, write it.  I have heard every piece of writing advice under the sun and when I hear one thing, I read a book that does just what that person told e NOT to do.  There are rules in grammar and the overall English language, but there is no rule as to how a book should be written.  Your book is just that,your book and long as you are happy with it, it is how it should be.  There are a lot of discouraging words out there but if you write for your own enjoyment and forget the naysayers, you will see your writing flourish.

Do you have any covers to share with us?





Links:


Author Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/AuthorBrookeWilliams

Author website (not yet available yet, but in the works)
AuthorBrookeWilliams.com

online
http://www.amazon.com/Someone-Always-Loved-You-ebook/dp/B004H8GBYK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370716976&sr=1-1&keywords=someone+always+loved+you

hard copy
http://www.lulu.com/shop/brooke-golliher/someone-always-loved-you/paperback/product-20447265.html

online
http://www.amazon.com/TAXI-DELIVERY-ebook/dp/B00CZ6S7NO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1370520932&sr=1-1&keywords=taxi+delivery

online
http://www.amazon.com/God-In-The-Kitchen-ebook/dp/B00D06YH5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1370520900&sr=1-1&keywords=god+in+the+kitchen

hard copy
http://www.amazon.com/Small-Town-America-Gregory-Humphrey/dp/1619900025/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370520964&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=small+rown+america+chainbooks

online
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-the-Bars-ebook/dp/B00D91E788/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370716863&sr=1-7&keywords=beyond+the+bars

online
http://www.amazon.com/MENDING-FENCES-ebook/dp/B00DCT9LRE/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1371124149&sr=1-4&keywords=mending+fences




No comments:

Post a Comment