Friday, October 11, 2013

Interview with Author Bryan Alaspa

Bryan W. Alaspa
Chicago, IL

Good morning, Bryan, welcome to Vision and Verse.  We're happy to have you here with us.What have you written? 
I have written over 20 books and novels. My full list is here:
Non-Fiction:
Ghosts of St. Louis: The Lemp Mansion and Other Eerie Tales
Chicago Crime Stories: Rich Gone Wrong
Chicago Disasters
Forgotten Tales of Illinois
Silas Jayne: Chicago’s Suburban Gangster
Sabotage: A Chronicle of the Chesterton Crash
Chicago’s Unsolved Mysteries
Fiction:
The Ballad of the Blue Denim Gang
The Vanished Child
Dust
RIG: A Novel of Terror
Sin-Eater: Part One
Sin-Eater: Part Two - Destiny
MYTHOS: A Thriller
After the Snowfall
The Dead Phone
One Against Many
Vicious: A Novel of Suspense
Sapphire: A Paranormal Romance
Collections:
Stories (a collection of short stories)
Why Hockey Sucks and Other Random Thoughts (a collection of essays)
Flashpoint: A Collection of Curious Beginnings and Endings
Wow!  That's an impressive list.  What is your favorite genre to write? 
My first love was horror and I tend to write in the horror, thriller, suspense genres. I just love a story that keeps readers on the edge of their seat or scared out of their minds.

Favorite food. 
These days I am a sushi fanatic!

Where would you like to visit? 
I have always dreamed of visiting Australia, but the long plane ride scares me to death.

Good premise for a horror story.  Favorite musical artist. 
Pink Floyd and Peter Himmelman  Do you listen to music when you write? Yes What? I tend to listen to a lot of classic rock.

What makes you laugh?
I am easy to get to laugh. I am particularly fond of British humor, and anything that is just really silly.

Well, you fit right in with us.  Parker and I love a good laugh, or a bad laugh.How old were you when you started writing? 
I sat down and wrote my first story when I was in the third grade and sat down at my mom’s electric typewriter. I began writing seriously and on a professional level in 2006.

Where do you get your inspiration? 
 A store down the street from my house. It is hard to say. It comes from something I see, something in the news, something someone says, or just from that mythical “someplace” inside my mind.

What do you do when you get a writer's block? 
I am very lucky and it rarely happens to me. I am always working on multiple stories, so if one stalls out I work on another one for a time and then things usually sort out.

Who is your favorite author? 
Stephen King. Blake Crouch. Joe Hill.

Best book you ever read.
Probably The Stand with Blake Crouch’s RUN a very close second.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why? 
 It is hard to say. I think the person who influences me the most these days is my wife Melanie. She is the person who is my biggest cheerleader, toughest editor and critic and biggest fan.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why? 
 Stephen King. I think we could talk a lot about baseball as I am also a big fan. I’d also just love to talk about writing with him.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 
Keep writing. Always keep writing. Never stop and never let anyone tell you to stop. You don’t have to make a living at it, and these days with so many outlets to self-publish you can still get your work out there. It takes a lot of time to get good, and I still learn new things. 

Links:
My newest novel is a Young Adult novel called Sapphire. It is a Paranormal Romance. 

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-A-Paranormal-Romance-ebook/dp/B00EX73K5I/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1378582749&sr=1-1&keywords=Alaspa

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sapphire-bryan-alaspa/1116811898?ean=2940148805090

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/353375

My website: http://www.bryanwalaspa.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bryanalaspa

Twitter: twitter.com/bryanalaspa

Google+: https://plus.google.com/105209486997528753241/posts

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/980556.Bryan_Alaspa

Cover?



Thank you for being with us, Bryan.  Come back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment