Thursday, December 19, 2013

An Author Interview with Josie Cara


  Josie Cara
 New York City

Good morning, Josie!  Welcome to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors.  It is a pleasure to have you with us this morning.  Tell us, have you always lived in New York City?
Yes.  I love it.

What have you written?
My first book, “In a Heartbeat”, came out December 14, 2013 and I’m working on my second book now. Hopefully, it will be out the end of 2014.

What is your favorite genre to write?
Although I will try other genres in the future, my favorite now is Romantic Suspense. No matter how solid two people think their relationship is, something always comes along to chip away at it. A little suspense, or better yet, a lot of suspense, can make a relationship stronger or destroy it altogether.  Time travel is one of my favorites and I will, eventually, attempt to write one.

What is your favorite food?
I love Italian food, especially lasagna and pizza. I can eat pizza every day of the week, and in NYC, there are many great pizza joints.

Where would you like to visit?
I refuse to fly, never have and never will. I think that, in a past life, I may have died in a plane crash because I am terrified of flying. But, from articles I’ve read, I would like to visit Paris – most likely in my dreams.

Don't be afraid, Sweetie.  I find a good, stiff drink makes any ride enjoyable.  You must go to Venice.  It is fabulous!  What makes you laugh?
My 13 year old grandson makes me laugh everyday with his silly jokes, faces and dances!

What is your favorite music?
I’m an avid music lover. I love it all, but my favorite, and the one I listen to most, especially when writing, is hard rock. Some of my favorites are The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, The Doors and in today’s rock world, Maroon 5, No Doubt, Black-Eyed Peas.

How old were you when you started writing?
I’ve always written stories in my head but started putting them down on paper in high school. I worked on the newspaper and magazine in both high school and college.

Where do you get your inspiration?
Men may have the physical strength, but it’s women who have the mental and emotional capacity to handle any problem that comes their way. I’ve watched many strong women in my family alone overcome horrible events in their lives.

What do you do when you get writer’s block?
I usually go back and reread what I’ve already written, add and delete and then try to continue the storyline. If that doesn’t work, I leave it alone until tomorrow.

Who is your favorite author?
The first author who really gripped my imagination and has never stopped captivating me is Nora Roberts. Her books have run my imagination ragged. In the crime books, Robert B. Parker caught my intention with his good versus evil, bad boy, Spenser.

What is the best book you have ever read?
The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is the best series collection I have ever read. Her combination of American history with time travel back and forth to the colonial days has blown my mind. I loved every book.

That series is a favorite of mine, too.  I love Jaime and Claire.  Who is the one person who has influenced your life the most and why?
My grandmother was a woman plagued by overwhelming problems in her life, from being dragged down the aisle by her father to marry a man she didn’t know, to raising children with physical and mental problems, to helping support her family after her husband was crippled with rheumatoid arthritis and finally, to dying with grace from uterine cancer. Yet, no matter what was going on in her life, she always had her door open to family and friends who needed help. No matter what kind of problem they had, she found a way to help them. Her heart was always open and her face was always covered in a big smile. Our house was always filled with people, day and night. When she passed, the funeral home was overwhelmed with the amount of people who came to pay their respects.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Never give up. Keep writing and if you can’t find a publishing house to put out your work, do it yourself. There are more and more indie writers today who do a fantastic job of writing, promoting and marketing their own work. Amazon.com has their own publishing company, Create Space, who do everything to help the author get their work out there.

You can find me at the following:


No comments:

Post a Comment