Saturday, December 21, 2013

Interview with Author Samantha Holt


Samantha Holt
Warwickshire, England

Good morning, Samantha.  Welcome to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors.  We're happy to have you here with us this morning.  What have you written? 
I’ve write mostly historical romances and the odd contemporary or fantasy ones. My latest release is To Steal a Highlander’s Heart which is a medieval Highland romance.

I LOVE Highland Romances.  What is your favorite genre to write? 
Historical will always be my favourite. I love to pull people into the past and research is always fun. I do find contemporary easier but I don’t find it as satisfying.

Favorite food.
That one’s tough! I love all sorts and it depends on my mood. I’ve got a real weakness for fresh pastries though.

Tea or coffee?
Tea!

Pizza or ice cream?
I’m not a fan of either I’m afraid! I think I’m the only person in the world who doesn’t like ice cream.

Where would you like to visit?
Russia or Malaysia.

Favorite musical artist.  Do you listen to music when you write?  What?
I’m a big fan of Poets of the Fall, an alternative rock band. They’re not hugely well known but write some of the most beautiful lyrics and are so inspiriting. I always listen to music when I write.

What makes you laugh?
Silly things usually. My husband and I have the same quirky sense of humour and we’ll usually come out with something at the same time which will make me laugh. My children make me laugh too.

How old were you when you started writing?
I’m not sure. I enjoyed writing from an early age but didn’t start writing properly until about two years ago, when I was twenty six.

Describe your perfect evening.
A quiet one. A nice long bubbly bath, glass of champagne, dinner cooked for me and then a film with the hubby.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I wish I knew. Mostly in bed when I should be sleeping. Occasionally a word or theme will spark an idea but often they come in one great big ball of inspiration and I have an instant story that just needs fleshing out. And sometimes I get nothing at all and I need to work and work to get some ideas out.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
I often have two stories going on at once. If one stumbles, I just put it away and concentrate on the other. If I leave a month or so, I usually can come back to it with a fresh perspective.

Who is your favorite author?
Jane Austen or Elizabeth Gaskell.

Best book you ever read.
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
Probably my dad. We have very similar ideas and ethics. He also had a big part to play in my childhood as my mother was sick for a lot of it. We still chat on the phone twice a week.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Find someone who can offer you support and kind criticism. It might take you a while to find the right person but once you do, they’ll always be there to encourage you and work through ideas. Also be prepared to do the same for someone else, even if you do find your fame and fortune!

Book Blurb
Moray, Scotland, 1231 

Alana sets eyes on Morgann for the first time in several years and what does he do? He captures her! But Alana refuses to go meekly with the sexy Highland warrior. Her kidnapping will reignite the rift that’s existed between the two clans since her father accused Morgann of theft and she doesn’t want to see her father harmed in the inevitable war that will ensue. 

Unfortunately for Alana, the faeries seek to interfere with her plans to escape. The sidhe have a debt to repay and Tèile, the green faery, is determined to mend the rift between the clans for good. And that means ensuring Alana and Morgann marry. 

Morgann has his own reasons for taking Alana and they are nothing to do with marriage or war. He wants to use her to reveal a secret from the past, the one that had him accused of theft. If only he didn’t find his childhood friend so attractive. When circumstances force them together, Alana’s life is threatened and war is imminent. Can Morgann reveal the truth without losing Alana? And will the faery’s meddling help or hinder his cause? 

Buy link: http://amzn.com/B00FIO4D4M
Facebook link: www.facebook.com/romanticfiction
Website: www.samanthaholt.org.uk












No comments:

Post a Comment