Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Interview with Author Kyla Ross


Kyla Ross
Utica, MI 


Good morning, Kyla, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the place for Art and Authors. Can you tell us a little about what you've written?
A Trinity of Wicked Tales- Jilted is a splatterpunk horror anthology. Dark Designs from Kyrobooks is a free collection of dark fiction flash and short stories. When We Swing is a dark erotica novel.

What is your favorite genre to write? 
Dark fiction. Anything that has heart pumping suspense that leads to a thrilling jaw dropping twist.

Favorite food. 
Homemade ravioli, pizza, mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach. The last few can be sautéed in olive oil and I’d eat them out of a bowl.

Tea or coffee? 
Caffeinated tea (very high caffeine concentration) and a Frappuccino with a triple shot of expresso.

Pizza or ice cream? 
Pizza (Supreme please!)

Wine or beer? 
This is hard. Merlot is my favorite but I really enjoy craft IPAs and pale ale. Wheat ale with berries is good too.

Where would you like to visit? 
Italy, England, Amsterdam, Japan, and South Africa. And, oddly, Antarctica. I was considering studying marine biology for a while because of my obsession with the large bodies of water. It would give me a reason to go to the south pole.

Favorite musical artist.  Do you listen to music when you write? 
I love all types of music. And I listen to music religiously as I write. Right now, my list includes Drake, Jeezy, Nivana, A Tribe called Quest, A Perfect Circle, Sound Garden, Jill Scott, and Deftones. Deftones is probably my favorite right now. I also listen to Lily Allen, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Ludiovico Einaudi and Tall Black Guy.

What makes you laugh? 
Family Guy, American Dad, Archer, Venture Brothers, and anything considered adult animation. Oh and then there is The Eric Andre Show (hilarious). I’m in love with the Adult Swim line up.  


Favorite work of art or sculpture.
I like the painting Nighthawks by Edward Hopper.

How old were you when you started writing?
I wrote as a kid and wrote technical documents over the last nine years. I started writing fiction a year ago and haven’t stopped since.


Describe your perfect evening. 
A margarita in one hand and a Richard Laymon novel in the other as I chill on the beach.


Where do you get your inspiration?
My goals. I can’t sleep unless I reach them.

What do you do when you get a writer's block? 
I throw a pitching session in the mirror. I write. No matter how bad it sounds, I write. I also read best sellers.

Who is your favorite author? Richard Laymon and Sam Sisavath (right now. This tends to change often.)

Best book you ever read. 
Endless Night by Richard Laymon; the entire Purge of Babylon Series by Sam Sisavath; A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess; Needful Things by Stephen King.

Last book you read. 
Completed? A thriller I beta read for a fellow author. What I’m reading now? Funland by Richard Laymon, Dead by Morning by Kayla Krantz, The Secret of Ventriloquism by Jon Padgett, Stage 3: A Post-Apocalyptic Thriller by Ken Stark and Heart- Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer? 
Be a scientist (chemist or biologist) or make scary movies.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why? 
There’s more than one. My siblings, mom, and aunt. They’re crazy positive and remind me of what I set out for when I become doubtful or annoyed. They are a joy to be around. I love my family.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why? 
My grandmother. I’d like to know how she feels about how her family turned out. Is she proud? Is she OK?  (I hope the answers would be yes.) 

I am sure she is, sweetie. You are an inspiration!


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? Don’t give up or get discouraged and take criticism. It’ll make you better in an industry that is overflowing at the seams. 

Thanks for being with us this morning, Kyla. We at Vision and Verse wish you continued success in all your writing endeavors. Come back and see us again...soon. And tell us a little about WHEN WE SWING.
Okay, I will.

Do you have links for us to follow you? 
Links:























No comments:

Post a Comment