Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Interview with Author Marta Moran Bishop

Marta Moran Bishop
Massachusetts



Good morning, Marta, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the place for Art and Authors. It is a pleasure to have you with us today. What have you written?
Four adult poetry books, Two Children’s Poetry Books, A Novel named Dinky: The Nurse Mare’s Foal (which one an award in the EQUUS FILM FESTIVAL. Four Novellas and Three short stories.

What is your favorite genre to write? 
Whatever I am writing at the time, but I need to have some form of hope or happy in the ending. I like to stretch myself. I’ve written books told from POV animal. Paranormal, Dystopian, Historical Fiction, Fantasy and am working on a ghost story, as well as a murder mystery.
I believe that a poem can be a very short story, a short story can be a very short novella and a novella a very short novel. That there is a progression that one takes, and it depends on how long the story takes to tell.
Sometimes the story is told in a poem, sometimes it is finished in a short story or a novella, and sometimes it takes many more words to tell it. Though, three of my novellas are becoming two different series as though, the story was told it later became clear that there was more that needed telling or another character needed its own book.


Favorite food. 
It is easier to say what I dislike. Lima Beans, and Sauerbraten. I love most foods and it depends on my mood what is my favorite.

Tea or coffee? 
Black coffee in the morning, later herbal iced tea.

Pizza or ice cream? 
Pizza

Wine or beer?
Wine


Where would you like to visit? 
Egypt and Ireland

Favorite musical artist.
Barbra Streisand, Neil Diamond, BackStreet Boys, Garth Brooks, Artie Shaw, Bob Solone, Beatles, Hollies, Billie Holiday, Tribal Winds.

Do you listen to music when you write?
Not usually as I am pulled into the story and lose myself.
If I did, it would depend upon what I was writing and whether that artist would help put me in the frame of mind for the story.

What makes you laugh?
The antics of my animals, British humor. I’m not big on slapstick.

This is an Art AND Author website, so I am obliged to ask: Favorite work of art or sculpture.
The Wood Scrapers by Gustave Caillebotte

How old were you when you started writing? 
Six

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?
I just write, the story or poem forms in my mind and it flows from my hands as I type. It is as if it comes from outside of me.

Describe your perfect evening.
A glass of wine or tea, in the summer on the deck or patio, soft music, in the winter a fire going. Or riding my horses or playing with the cats.

Where do you get your inspiration?
Local events, an animal, the feel of a winters day, history, or just something I heard or listened to.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
Work on animation or book trailers for my cousin.

Who is your favorite author?
In Science Fiction – Andre Norton. In Fantasy – JK Rowlings. In mysteries or thrillers – Robert Whitehill or Robert Walker. In classics Shakespeare or Jane Austin.

Best book you ever read. 
The one that made me continue to think years later.

Last book you read.
When Lightning Strikes the Cottonwoods by Lisa L Borm
                                                            


What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
Paint

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
My mother and my husband. My mother was a reader and writer and my husband who is my support.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
Cleopatra – I’d want to know who she really was as a person.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Keep writing, don’t stop, read everything you can, as you do not know what will help you become better.



Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Social Media:
@moranbishop on twitter



Note: I will have the revised and expanded edition of book 1 of the Divide (Darkness Descends) a dystopian book, using events from the 1930’s forward. Book 2 of the series was written first and will have a new cover. The two will be a box set, by late July or early August.

We look forward to it, Marta. Come back and see us anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment