Wednesday, March 3, 2021

INTERVIEW: Middle Grade/Young Adult Author Cheryl Carpinello



Cheryl Carpinello
Littleton, CO
USA

 

Welcome to Vision and Verse, Cheryl. Can you tell us a little about what you've written?

I have several books: Guinevere: On the Eve of Legend (book1); Guinevere: At the Dawn of Legend(book 2); Guinevere: The Legend (book 3); The King’s Ransom (Young Knights of the Round Table)Sons of the SphinxTutankhamen SpeaksGrandma/pa Tales 1Grandma/pa Tales 2. I also have the Tales & Legends Writing Journal for budding writers. Three of my shorter books have now been incorporated into the original books: Guardian of a Princess & other shortsWild Creatures in my Neighborhood; and Behind the Scenes of The King’s Ransom.

 

My Guinevere trilogy recently was awarded MoonBeam’s 2020 Bronze for Best Book Series: Chapter Books

 

I’ve just finished book 1 The Atlantean Horse, in my new series Feathers of the Phoenix. I’m excited to get this adventurous and dangerous romp featuring Rosa from Sons of the Sphinx started!


 

What is your favorite genre to write?

I love writing Arthurian Legend for young readers and those young-at-heart. It’s satisfying to introduce readers to the Legends and Tales from earlier times. Stories from the Ancient Worlds are also a passion of mine. My Tales & Legends are thrilling adventures set in the days of King Arthur and in the ancient worlds (currently Ancient Egypt).




Favorite food.

Smothered beef burritos top my list of favorite foods. Add a margarita to that and I’m in paradise especially if I on a beach in the Riviera Maya in Mexico!

 


Tea or coffee?

Definitely coffee

 

Pizza or ice cream?

Ice cream

 


Wine or beer?

Coors Beer

 


Spoken like a true Coloradoan! 

Where would you like to visit?

Next on my list is Greece, Italy, and Turkey. I love to travel and go whenever I get a chance. My favorite place so far is Egypt. We spent 3 weeks there in 2008, and I would go back in a heartbeat. Believe I left part of my soul there.

 

We also spent 3 weeks in the UK visiting the places in The King’s Ransom. Loved Wales as that is where part of my family is from. I’m also on a mission to see the Northern Lights. Missed those when we were in Iceland.

 


Favorite musical artist

I have several: Elvis, Elton John, Paul McCartney, and Mumford and Sons to name a few. 

 



Do you listen to music when you write?  What?

All the time. Usually it’s a Mumford & Sons, but Yanni from the Giza Pyramids is also a favorite. My favorite media is DVDs.

 


What makes you laugh?

Just about anything. I have a weird sense of humor and often laugh at things other people don’t think are funny, but that’s me.

 


Favorite work of art or sculpture.

“Starry Night” by Vincent van Gogh.



How old were you when you started writing?

Actual words on paper was somewhere in junior high (grades 7-8). In my head, forever!

 


Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?

I used to do all that: outlines, planning, character charts, etc. Then a couple of years ago, I took a class called ‘Writing into the Dark’ that changed my writing style for the better, I believe. Now with my ideas in my head, I sit down at the computer and just write! When I finish a chapter, I do jot down the basics on a separate paper: characters and what they are wearing, 1-2 sentences about what happened in that chapter. Before I start my next writing session, I review that sheet, read through the previous session’s writing, and continue on from there.

 


Where do you get your inspiration?

My Arthurian Legend and Ancient tales came from my high school students (grades 9-12) who just loved reading these stories. Even my students who didn’t like to read devoured stories like The Once and Future KingBeowulf, The Iliad, The OdysseyMedea, Tales of the Arabian Nights, and others.

 


What do you do when you get a writer's block?

Two processes: I write in my head until my path becomes clear; or I reread the previous chapter or two and just continue on from there.


 

Who is your favorite author?

I don’t have just one. I read a lot of authors, including Elizabeth Peters, Paul Sussman, Carole Lawrence, Steve Saylor, Douglas Preston & Lincoln Childs, David Baldacci, Wendy Leighton-Porter, and Fiona Ingram.

 


Last book you read.

Tutankhamun: The Untold Story by Thomas Hoving is the last book, but I’m currently in the middle of Elizabeth Peters’ Amelia Peabody Egyptian mystery series (3rd time through the series!).

 


What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?

I taught high school English for 25 years.

 


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?

Write what you like to read, what you’re passionate about, what you love. I also write to inspire reluctant/emerging readers to read. Writing to sell should be way down on that list.

 


Do you have some links for us to follow you?

 

Website:  http://www.cherylcarpinello.com

Writing Blog:    http://carpinelloswritingpages.blogspot.com/

Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.carpinello1

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ccarpine1/

Amazon Author Page:  http://www.amazon.com/Cheryl-Carpinello/e/B002GGGZY6 Twitter Home Page: https://twitter.com/ccarpinello

Linkedin Page:  www.linkedin.com/pub/cheryl-carpinello/25/671/a02

Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/ccarpine/









VISIONANDVERSEDISCLAIMER:

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.




 













1 comment: