Wednesday, January 19, 2022

INTERVIEW: Horror Author Gage Greenwood




Gage Greenwood
New England


Good morning, Gage, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for Art and Authors. Can you tell us a little about what you'v e written? 
I have published two short stories (Grackles on
the Feeder and Through Flickering Lights, A Silhouette), and an
ongoing serial on Kindle Vella called Winter’s Myths. My debut novel will be released in 2022.


What is your favorite genre to write? 
Horror, mostly, but a grounded version of horror. Sure, some of it has monsters and ghosts, but the themes are usually about human nature, and everyday problems: mental illness, grief, etc.



Favorite food:
 
Buffalo chicken. Vegan if possible.


Tea or coffee? 
Coffee, and lots of it, please.


Pizza or ice cream? 
I don’t want to give up either, but if I have to,
I’ll get rid of ice cream. If I eat enough pizza for dinner, 
I won’t have room for dessert anyway.


Wine or beer or soda or what? 
I’m seven and half years sober, so it would be soda, but I don’t drink a lot of that either. I’m more of a coffee and water guy. Boring, I know. It’s a happy boring, though.


Where would you like to visit? 
In a normal world, Ireland. But with Coronavirus making travel more difficult, I would really just like to visit my family in Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Heck, I’d love to visit my sister who lives less than an hour away, but my schedule has
been so insane, I haven’t even had time for that.


Favorite musical artist: 
This changes by the minute, but for now I will go with Jason Isbell.


Do you listen to music when you write?  
Sometimes. I usually have such small frames of time to write in, that when the moment strikes, I don’t even have time to think about finding my ear buds. But, when I have a planned session ready, I love to listen to music. Usually, it’s stuff that sends me on a downward spiral of existential dread. Old Radiohead songs, The Killers, stuff that makes me want to write stuff
that rips my heart out.




What makes you laugh?
 
Lately, my favorite comedian is my five-year-old son. But, I actually used to do stand-up, so I have a huge appreciation for comedy. Besides stand-up, I love reruns of Frasier,
Seinfeld, and The Office.


This is an Author AND Art blog, so I obligated to ask. 
Favorite work of art or sculpture: 
This is tricky to answer, because
my absolute favorite is a huge spoiler for my ongoing serial, so I
don’t want to give it away. 
My second favorite is Landscape with the
Fall of Icarus. I also love Nighthawks. As an American history fan, that painting just captures a moment in time, freezing the national zeitgeist and all of its emotion into one single frame. It’s
incredible.


How old were you when you started writing? 
9 years old. Lots of really bad Ninja Turtles fanfic in the 80’s.


Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or
just write?
 
I don’t plan it out entirely, but I have a roadmap in my head. But overall, I come up with the characters, honing in on their
flaws, and then I throw the kitchen sink at them, allowing those
characters to dictate how their story goes, which paths they take, what emotional arcs they go through.


Describe your perfect evening. 
Oh, I’m getting old. Snacks and playing games with my son until he goes to bed, and then a relaxing night of reading or watching a new movie.




Where do you get your inspiration? 
I usually come up with a question and go from there. 
“What if the person you most admired turned out to
be an awful human?” “What kind of mythology would rise from a stranger to Earth if he saw it for the first time without knowing what it all was?”


What do you do when you get a writer’s block? 
Usually I put what I’m writing to the side for a bit and start writing something else.


Who is your favorite author? 
Hard not to say Stephen King. My favorite
new author is currently Yaa Gyasi.


Best book you ever read: 
Pet Semetary or Nos4a2.


Last book you read: 
Winterset Hollow by Jonathon Edward Durham. 
truly special book, by the way. I’ve never read anything quite like it.


What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer? Something entertaining people. Maybe I’d go back to doing stand-up. I have worked in a lot of fields where I had direct contact with people, and always enjoyed the interactions.


Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life
the most and why?
 
Probably my mom, for better or worse. She was also a
writer, and also struggled with a lot of the same mental illness and addictions I did.


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE
person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and
why?
 
Ben Franklin, just to see his reactions to what the world looks
like today. His face would be wild.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a
writer?
 
If you want to make a living doing it, you have to treat it
like a business, especially if you self-publish. Writing is one job,
publishing is fifty.



Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Amazon author page:

https://www.amazon.com/Gage-Greenwood/e/B09J28N52V


YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/GageGreenwoodWrites


Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gagegreenwood


TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/gage_greenwood


Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/gage_greenwood














VISION AND VERSE DISCLAIMER

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment