Wednesday, February 2, 2022

INTERVIEW: Children's Author Gülistan Yildiz Mentes

 

 Gülistan Yıldız Menteş

 Tuniceli, Turkey


 

Good morning, Güli, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for Art and Authors. Can you tell us what you're written?



I have written one chapter book and six picture books.

Titles

Will You Be My Pet?

The Friendly Tamarin

The Jolly Toucan

The Wise Snowy Owl

The Curious Woodpecker

The Helpful Deer

The Brave Little Kangaroo

 

 



What is your favorite genre to write?

I enjoy writing children’s books including picture books, chapter books and novels. However, I want to write novels for adults, too.

 



Favorite food.

I various types of food, but a traditional Turkish dish is on top of my list. I’m not sure if I have the right name, it is stuffed vine leaves. 

 

Maybe Stuffed Grape Leaves? 

Maybe.


Tea or coffee?

Coffee, especially Turkish coffee. It motivates me on a daily basis.

 

 

Pizza or ice cream?

Pizza for sure.

 


Wine or beer or soda or what?

Water, fruit juice 😊.

 

 

Where would you like to visit?

I have a long list for that, but I want to see Antarctica most.

 


Favorite musical artist.  

Madonna, Elvis Presley, Ahmet Kaya, Kazım Koyuncu


Do you listen to music when you write?  What?

I sometimes do that. I usually listen to relaxing music or Turkish folk music.

 

 

What makes you laugh?

Many things. My two sons, people, animals, jokes, films, sitcoms, stand-up comedians, … 

 


Favorite work of art or sculpture. 

The Statue of Liberty 

 


How old were you when you started writing?

I started writing when I was a primary school child. I loved writing stories and poems. 

 


Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?

To be honest, I’m not a well-organized person. My brain takes care of everything, and I just write instantly. I rarely take notes.

 


Describe your perfect evening.

To watch a good wildlife documentary with my husband and two boys while eating popcorn.

 


Where do you get your inspiration?

I have different sources of inspiration such as children, animals, saving our planet, common values, but my kids inspire me most. Their imaginary worlds make me create new books.

 


What do you do when you get a writer's block?

I don’t quite understand this question. 😊


May you never know, my dear!




Who is your favorite author?

Yaşar Kemal (Turkish writer), Jack London, Jane Austen

 


Best book you ever read.

Light Like Love, Dark Like Death

 


Last book you read.                             

Loving Your Child Isn’t Enough, Nancy Samalin

 


What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?

I would be a movie director.

 


Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?

My mother because she has always been strong despite all the hardship. I have always admired her determination. 

 




If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real, or fictional, who would it be and why?

It would be Yaşar Kemal because he was an incredible author. I would ask him many questions about how he penned his wonderful books. 

 







What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?

They need to read a lot, observe what is happening around them, write simple stories  using their imagination. They need to be sure about whether they want to go for fiction or non-fiction works. They can move forward safely after appointing a genre. Joining creative writing courses is a good idea to get professional support.






Do you have some links for us to follow you?

 

https://www.instagram.com/gulistanyildizmentesofficial/?hl=en

 

https://www.amazon.com/GULISTAN-YILDIZ-MENTES/e/B08Z25XBB8?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6&qid=1641277753&sr=1-6

 

https://www.facebook.com/KidsStories6













No comments:

Post a Comment