Thursday, June 27, 2013

Author Interview with Lee Hutch, "The Civil War Addict"



       Lee Hutch, "The Civil War Addict"
                  Harris County, Texas                      

What have you written?

  
I am the owner/operator of the Civil War Addict blog.  I am also working on two novel length projects.


What is your favorite genre to write? 
All of my writing in historical, both fiction and non-fiction.


Favorite food. 
I love German food, but it doesn’t seem to help my waistline any!


Where would you like to visit? 
Russia


Favorite musical artist.
 
From the modern era, I like the Dropkick Murphys.  My favorite “vintage” musician is Vera Lynn.


How old were you when you started writing? 
To the best of my recollection it was in 3rd grade.  I think I was eight years old that school year.


Where do you get your inspiration?
  
In a word, music.  Since my writing is historical, I listen to period music both while I am writing and while I am brainstorming.  It really helps get me in the “write” frame of mind.  It also sets the tone for my work and helps me mentally go back to the era in question.


What do you do when you get a writer's block? 
 
Though I want to give up in frustration, I will usually switch projects for an hour or so and see if that frees up the jam.  That usually helps.  If it doesn’t, I will then do something totally unrelated to writing, such as playing with my cats.


Who is your favorite author? 
My favorite non-fiction author is Peter Hart.  He is a noted World War 1 historian.  My favorite author of historical fiction is John Jakes.


Best book you ever read.
This is a tie between Losing Julia by Jonathan Hull (the only book to ever make me cry) and Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson which is a masterpiece of military fiction.


Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?


That honor goes to my beautiful redheaded wife.  To quote the old song, she is the rock that I lean on.  I would not be where I am today if it were not for her love and support.  She has stood by me through everything life has thrown our way thus far.  I could not imagine a life without her. 


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?


I would like to sit down with whichever one of my Civil War ancestors happened to be available!  To give a more realistic answer, I think I would like to sit down and talk to Sam Houston.  He has been a hero of mine for a long time.  It would be an honor to just be at the same table with him.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 
Don’t give up on your dreams and more importantly than that, don’t give up on yourself. 


DO you have any links you would like to share with us? 

You may “like” me on Facebook here:    https://www.facebook.com/CivilWarAddict
You will find my website with the link to my blog here   http://civilwaraddict.com
My website also has a link to where you can follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment