Wednesday, April 7, 2021

INTERVIEW: Women's Fiction AuthorJoy Lyn Goddard


 Joy Lynn Goddard
Belleville, Ont., Canada



Good morning, Joy, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for Art and Authors and those who love them. Can you tell us a little about what you've written?

When teaching full time, I used my experiences in elementary classrooms to write junior and young adult fiction for reluctant readers, especially teen boys. They liked my Northview Tales Series along with the books that followed as each contains sports, adventure, and coming-of-age themes with an element of danger. My characters are composites of the many students I taught from the “weirdo” to the “jock” to the “brain.” Teachers from across Canada (and in some regions of the States) continue to tell me their students recognize themselves in the characters and are eager to read the books.

 

More recently, I’ve been writing a teen/teacher blog, teaching a creative writing course for adults, and have teamed up with my husband, Dan, to create contemporary adult fiction. It has been a lot of fun. 

 

Our latest books: Buyers, Liars, Sellers and Yellers, and Moonshadow. The Keepers will be published this spring.



 MoonShadowTrailer_May20_upload.mp4  

 

 

What is your favorite genre to write?

Women’s Upmarket Fiction, a combination of literary and genre writing. 

 


Favorite food.

Potatoes! In any form

 


Tea or coffee?

Tea

 

 

Pizza or ice cream?

Ice cream with maple syrup

 

 

Wine or beer?

Wine 

 

 

Where would you like to visit?

Ireland

 

 

Favorite musical artist. 

Michael Bublé  

 


I love him! Do you ever listen to music when you write?

Never. I’m in the Zone with just white noise.

 


What makes you laugh?

Slice-of-life anecdotes 

 

 

Favorite work of art or sculpture.

The Red Maple by A.Y. Jackson

 

 

How old were you when you started writing?

I was twenty-two. I was a journalist for a few years before becoming a teacher.

 

 

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?

I outline, structure, and know the ending of a book before I start to write it. I’m not a fly-by-the-seat-of-my pantser. 

 

 




Describe your perfect evening.
Dinner with friends and family at a swanky restaurant overlooking the water. No masks, no distancing. 

 

 

Soon, my lovely, I hope. Where do you get your inspiration?

Books. Movies. Slice-of-life moments. Everywhere, every day. 

 


What do you do when you get a writer's block?

I go for a long walk or play chess.

 

 

Who is your favorite author?

This is a difficult question. I like many famous authors and love discovering the hidden gems. I like Gillian Flynn, Stephen King, Linwood Barkley, Liane Moriarty. Most of all, though, Jodi Picoult.






Best book you ever read.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

 

 

Last book you read.

The book of two ways by Jodi Picoult

 

 

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?

If not a fiction writer, I would like to be an international journalist. But if I weren’t a writer . . . hmmmmm . . . Nope, I can’t think of anything. 

 



Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?

My father, a WWll veteran. Although disabled from the war, he had a wonderful, positive outlook on life. When life gets tough, I think of him and give my head a shake. 

 





If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

Charles Dickens. I’d love to meet the person behind the famous author. 

 

 

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?

I’m sure an aspiring writer has heard this many times before . . . but READ, READ, READ, if you want to write. 

 

 

Do you have some links for us to follow you?

 

https://www.amazon.ca/Joy-Lynn-Goddard/e/B07T6BYJ5L

 

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1814169.Joy_Lynn_Goddard

 

https://twitter.com/JoyLynnGoddard

 

https://www.facebook.com/joy.goddard.16

 

https://www.amazon.ca/Moonshadow-Joy-Lynn-Goddard-ebook/dp/B07VM6YT2Y/








Dear Gentle Readers,

My review of Joy's Moonshadow  on Vision and Verse can be found here:

https://visionandverse.blogspot.com/2020/03/book-review-moonshadow-by-joy-lynn.html











VISIONANDVERSEDISCLAIMER:

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment