Friday, February 17, 2017

Interview with British Author Joey Paul

 Joey Paul
Swindon, UK



Good morning, Joey, and welcome back to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors. What have you been up to? I hear you have a new book coming out this month.
Yes. I write young adult crime/mystery, paranormal though I have also written a young adult romance and contemporary book. I have nine books published, with another two coming out this month. One is the fifth in series – Dying Thoughts – and the other is a standalone which is mostly crime/mystery.

What is your favorite genre to write?
I love writing crime and mystery, but I also find that alongside that I do love me some paranormal!

Favorite food.
Probably should say chocolate! But I also do love macaroni cheese! Yum!

Tea or coffee?
Tea, I'm actually allergic to coffee!

Pizza or ice cream? 
Pizza, ice cream is a favorite but it needs to be at certain times.

Wine or beer? 
Neither, I don't drink alcohol because it messes with my meds.

Where would you like to visit? 
Oh so many places! Right now I'd like to be somewhere warm like Hawaii.

Favorite musical artist. 
Busted  

Do you listen to music when you write?  What? 
No, I prefer to work in silence.

Me, too, Joey. That's why I prefer to write early in the morning or late, late at night. What makes you laugh? 
A lot of things, I actually have a good sense of humour, but I love jokes and hanging out with friends and making each other laugh.

Favorite work of art or sculpture. 
Starry Night by Van Gogh

How old were you when you started writing?
I was 13, but I didn't properly start until I was 19.

Describe your perfect evening. 
Snuggled up in bed, with a thunderstorm outside by nice and warm inside. My tablet on my lap and a good book on my Kindle.

Where do you get your inspiration? Everywhere! I'm serious, it comes at me from the strangest places but at the same time, I just have an over active imagination!



What do you do when you get a writer's block? 
I push through it. I've not had it for a while [touch wood] I know that it'll come, and when it does I just have to keep going.

Who is your favorite author? 
Oh I have so many, but one I always want to read? Harlan Coben.

Best book you ever read. 
There are so many, so so so many, it's like Sophie's choice with books!

Last book you read. 
Detour by Devorah Fox

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
I actually don't think I'd be doing anything else. I have such limits on my mobility and energy and all the rest of that, that if I wasn't writing I probably wouldn't be doing anything at all!

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
There's two people. My best friend B, she's been my best friend for over 21 years now, and we get on so well. She became my carer when I got sick, and I am guardian to her daughter and we all live in the same house, just the three of us. 

The other person is my good friend, Kim. She helped me to see that I could be a writer and an author and I could do all of this and for that, she has changed my life.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why? 
Probably my great Nan, she died in 2011 before I really got going with indie publishing and such and I'd love to talk to her, show her how much I've achieved, and just see her again.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 
It's a hard road, but keep going. Writing that first page is something to be celebrated, as is the first chapter and the second and so on. Keep going, it's hard, it's difficult and it can be soul destroying, but you are the only one who can tell that story the way you do, so keep going!

Thank you for being with us this morning, Joey. We at Vision and Verse wish you continued success in all your writing endeavors. 

Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Facebook: http://bit.ly/1VhLrWj
Amazon (US): http://amzn.to/1VhLHog
Goodreads: http://bit.ly/1UcS61E
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1RSvQWx
Tumblr: http://bit.ly/1WhMqqE
Blog: http://www.joeypaulonline.com




No comments:

Post a Comment