Monday, March 6, 2017

The Art of David Hockney



David Hockney.  I had seen his paintings before and liked them, but I never associated his paintings with his name, until flipping through the channels one morning and seeing a segment on him and his work. This particular segment had to do with his new works that are done -- wait for it -- on his iPad instead of a canvas. 

Wow, what a great idea! No muss, fuss, or mess to clean up. This guy is really on to something.




This painting to the right is one of his iPad works, called Purple Calla. It is lovely in it's composition and use of color, it's attention to detail, and the fact he did it on his iPad.
I have trouble drawing a neat box or decent circle around something on the iPad with my finger or a stylus.


 David Hockney is an English painter born in 1937. He has been in his live a set designer, a draftsman, a photographer, and a printmaker. He was part of the fabulous Pop Art movement of the 1960's and is considered to be one of the most influential painters of the twentieth century.





This is my favorite David Hockney painting, A Bigger Splash, painted in 1967 the old-fashioned way, with acrylic paint on canvas with a brush. I love it's clean lines and uncluttered essence, it's highly realistic style and his vibrant use of color.  If I could have painted half this well, one quarter even, I would have stuck with my Art major and been happy as a clam. Are clams happy? How do we know?



The panel above it a copy of one of fifty canvases of trees that are part of a giant wall collection called Bigger Trees Near Water, painted in 2007 and on display at the Tate Gallery in London. It depicts the forested area where David grew up in Yorkshire, England, between Bridlington and York. 

Nothing here is my own and I claim nothing. Info from wikipedia and his artist website, hockneypicture.com where there is more information on his life and his outstanding works of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment