Wednesday, August 14, 2019

INTERVIEW: Mystery Writer Larissa Reinhart

Larissa Reinhart
Peachtree City, Georgia, USA 
(But I’ve also been living in Nagoya, Japan, since my first publication.)



Good morning, Larissa, and welcome to Vision and Verse, a site devoted to art and authors. Can you tell us a little about what you've written?
I have three mystery series. A Cherry Tucker Mystery has 6 books and 3 novellas. The first in the series is PORTRAIT OF A DEAD GUY. Cherry Tucker’s very Southern and a cozy mystery series.
Maizie Albright Star Detective has 3 books and a novella with a fourth book coming out later this year. The first in the series is 15 MINUTES. Maizie’s light and more of a chick lit/romantic comedy-styled mystery.
And Finley Goodhart Crime Capers is my newest series with only one book published, THE CUPID CAPER, and a prequel story that’s exclusive to my VIP Readers email subscribers. Finley’s a little darker and more of a romantic suspense crime thriller.

What is your favorite genre to write?
I only have mysteries published but I’m working on a romantic comedy and have written a few other manuscripts in other genres. I don’t necessarily have a favorite genre—it’s the characters and their story that really appeal to me.

Favorite food.
Carbs.

You are my soul sister. Tea or coffee?
I start with coffee and then switch to tea.

Pizza or ice cream?
Why can’t I have both? Ok, pizza.

You can have both! Wine or beer?
I’m not choosy. I’ll take whatever you’ve got open.

Where would you like to visit?
I’d like to visit my friends in Japan and see Italy and Vietnam again. For new places, I’ve always wanted to go to Taiwan and Austria. I also like Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Italy is fantastic. Go Go now! You can't savor Italy in a week or two. Each region has it's own magic. Favorite musical artist.  
That’s really hard! Right now I’ve been listening to The Revivalists and the Pistol Annies. My all time favorite is Lynyrd Skynyrd.



Do you listen to music when you write?  What?
I’ll listen to Bluegrass or classical while writing because they allow me to focus. However, I will listen to specific genres or artists before writing because I find music inspiring, especially storytellers.

What makes you laugh?
My kids, animals, and dumb criminals. Also “Parks and Rec” compilations on YouTube.

Favorite work of art or sculpture.
Kandinsky’s “Several Circles.”

How old were you when you started writing?
First grade or so. As soon as I could write enough to put together a story, I illustrated little booklets and sold them to my neighbors. I kind of went pulp from the start.

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?
I take notes on the characters and their backstories, then start writing. But after I write a couple chapters, I stop and create a synopsis to guide me.

Describe your perfect evening.
I’m at home or on vacation with my family. We hang out outside, eat dinner together, then cuddle up on the couch to watch a movie.

Where do you get your inspiration?
Nowhere specifically. Sometimes I’ll hear stories about people or a crime and that will provide me a jumping off place. Sometimes I’ll see something—a building, a sign, or a place. Or sometimes it’s a song I’ll hear and I’ll create a story about the characters in the song.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
Read over what I’ve already written and try to figure out what went wrong. Usually writer’s block happens when I’ve written the story into a corner and I need to back up and start again.

Who is your favorite author?
Elmore Leonard.

Best book you ever read.
Crime and Punishment.


Last book you read.
I’m reading The Black Prism right now.

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
I was a teacher and am a mom. I would love to be in charge of naming nail polish colors. Whoever came up with OPI’s “Nein! Nein! Nein! Ok, Fine!”—just know that might make it on my tombstone. I’m such a fan I had to have a character who regularly changed their polish to match their mood (Maizie Albright) just so I could name the color. 

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
Aside from being a Christian and stating Jesus, probably my husband. We’ve had a great partnership for more than thirty years (including dating)(I married at 13)(No, I didn’t but please don’t do the math).

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
It’d be interesting to see how my characters operate outside my head. But I might need a padded room for that.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Join some writing organizations in your genre and go to conferences and meetings. They’re daunting but inspiring. I learned so much from attending Georgia’s RWA meetings and conferences—GRW’s conference is Moonlight and Magnolias—and attending those definitely jumpstarted my career.

Thanks so much for the interview! It’s always wonderful to meet new readers. And congratulations on your 6th anniversary!

Thank you so much, Larissa! Vision and Verse has, at times, been a wild ride, but getting to meet today's terrific writers like you and Ritter Ames are the best part of it. Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Social media links:
My VIP Readers email group: https://www.larissareinhart.com/larissasreaders
Official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorLarissaReinhart/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/larissareinhart
Goodreads: http://smarturl.it/LarissaGoodreads
Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/larissa-reinhart
Amazon: http://smarturl.it/LarissaReinhart





5 comments:

  1. A huge thank you for this interview, Carol Ann! That was fun!
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Larissa! I love introducing my readers to such wonderful authors. Come back and see us again.
      Hugs,
      Carol

      Delete
  2. Terrific interview! I love Larissa's books!

    ReplyDelete