Tuesday, January 21, 2020

IN MEMORIUM: M.C. Beaton

Dear Gentle Readers, 
Sadly, my favorite author, M.C. Beaton, has passed away after a short illness. The internationally acclaimed author Beaton penned the Hamish MacBeth series, set in a small Scottish hamlet where the tall red-headed police chief solves crimes while keeping under the radar of the high-ups so he doesn’t get promoted to the big city.



My first M. C. Beaton book was Death of a Dustman. It was a library book. I was so taken with it, I went out and bought the hardback. I still have it. Dustman is the British term for garbage collector. Sounds so much better. Don’t you agree?


M. C. Beaton also wrote historical fiction under her maiden name, Marion Chesney.

Perhaps she is best known for her Agatha Raisin series that is now a BBC series. Agatha Raisin was a high-powered advertising agent in London. Upon retirement, she decided to move to a small but beautiful cottage in a small but beautiful village in the Cotswolds. She wanted to fix in, so she entered the village annual cooking auction. Agatha doesn't cook or bake, so she bought a quiche in London. The person who bought the quiche died of poisoning. And that's the beginning of Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death.












Marion was a fun-loving little Scottish dynamo, who was always straight forward and truthful. She will be sadly missed.


I'll look for you in the rainbows, Marion. I'll see you in the movement of the butterflies. I'll hear your words of honest wisdom in the rustle of the wind. 

Hugs,
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment