Wednesday, January 29, 2020

INTERVIEW: Photographer and Author Rebecca S. Nieminen


Rebecca S. Nieminen 
Kinsman, Ohio
USA


Good morning, Rebecca, and thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to be with us. I know you're always chasing the perfect sunrise or cresting wave with outstanding results. Your work is fabulous. By the way, you are beautiful. What kind of art do you create? 


I am a professional portrait and fine art landscape photographer. You can view my landscape images here: http://storytellerphotographyimagesbyrebecca.com/galleries/landscapes/ 
I am also a writer of fiction and poetry. I have written a historical novel (still unpublished) and am currently working on a book of photos and poetry (hoping to have it completed in spring 2020). 

What is your favorite art medium?  
Photography. I am best known for my scenes of rural life in Ohio and Pennsylvania. 

Favorite food.
Chocolate and seafood of all kinds.

Tea or coffee?
I don’t drink either, actually. I always get weird looks when I tell people that. 

Pizza or ice cream?
Both! 


Wine or beer?
Wine, definitely—the sweeter the better! I don’t care for dry wine.


Me, either. I like Sweet Baby Red or Sweet Walter. There's a Chocolate Strawberry Wine from Green Eagle Winery in Cortland, Ohio. It is scrumptious! Try it, tell me what you think. Where would you like to visit?
This past summer I visited Finland and met some of my relatives there. It was a bucket list item for sure—a long-time dream turned reality! I would love to visit Prince Edward Island or Maine next.


Favorite musical artist.  
I can’t choose one favorite. I have so many from so many different genres as well as a voracious appetite for discovering new favorites. 


Do you listen to music when you work?
Sometimes, yes, but when I am sitting at my desk editing photos I mostly listen to educational material on Youtube. You can learn a lot from Youtube! I listen to historical documentaries, lectures on self-improvement, Ted Talks, ghost stories, poetry readings – all kinds of stuff. I love to learn new things.

What makes you laugh?
Quirky, awkward, absurd situations. 

Favorite work of art or sculpture.
It is difficult to name one favorite, but “The Angel’s Message” by George Hilliard Swinstead comes to mind.


How old were you when you started creating art?
As soon as I was old enough to hold a pencil or paintbrush I was making art. As a child I was considered a gifted visual artist and would spend hours drawing and painting, mostly horses, birds, and nature scenes. After I learned to read and write I fell in love with books, and my artistic focus switched to writing stories and poetry. By the age of 7 I had decided I wanted to be a writer when I grew up, and as an adult I earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism and later a master’s degree in English. Prior to becoming a professional photographer I worked as a reporter and freelancer. Photography has always been a hobby of mine, but I did not start doing it professionally until 2013. 

Do you plan out your projects? Or just roll up your sleeves and dig in?
A little of both. I have found that some of my best creative work happens spontaneously. However, I also understand and value the importance of making detailed plans in order to achieve goals. 

Describe your perfect evening.
Visiting a beautiful new destination where I can explore and take photos and then enjoy a delicious meal. 

Where do you get your inspiration?
Nature is an endless source of inspiration for me. As the seasons and weather change there is always something new and amazing to discover. The boundless beauty of nature awes me and rejuvenates my soul. I actually wrote a blog about how much I love to “create along with creation itself.” You can find it here: http://storytellerphotographyimagesbyrebecca.com/2019/09/the-joy-of-landscape-photography/


What do you do when you get creative person's block?
My creative energy usually flows rather freely, but if I hit a wall I will take a couple of days away to rest my mind and then I will revisit the project.


Who is your favorite artist?
I have several but Alphonse Mucha is probably my number one. I love the Art Nouveau style. 

Best book you ever read.
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. It is young adult fiction, but I enjoy reading it even now that I am in my mid-40s. I am also an admirer of a trilogy of novels by Conrad Richter set in 1800s Ohio titled The Trees, The Field and The TownThe Town won the Pulitzer Prize. I am a big history buff.  

Last book you read.
Sadly I don’t read as much as I used to because I have such a busy schedule. The last book I read was Why I Wake Early by Mary Oliver, my favorite poet. 

What would you do for a living if you weren’t an artist or an author?
Right now I am a full-time photographer, but my childhood dream of becoming a best-selling author is still very much alive.  
  
                                                  
Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
That is a very difficult question. I am not sure I can name just one person because there have been many influences. I have known people who have lifted me up and loved me, but I have also known people who have wounded me deeply and tore me down. However, at the end of the day I can say I have learned a lot from both categories of people. Every person who enters your life arrives to teach you something. You just have to pay attention to what the lesson is. If you can reach a place where you feel grateful for the opportunity for growth that even the painful lessons presented to you then you will discover such freedom and peace. 






If you could have a conversation with anyone, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
I would want talk with my Finnish great-grandfather. He died before I was born, but I feel an unexplained connection to him. If there is such a thing as guardian spirits—and I do believe there is—I believe he is one of the ones who watches over me.

What advice would you give a budding artist?
Be true to your creative vision, work tirelessly to be the best you can be and never think you are above learning something new or improving your craft. Sometimes artistically-minded people struggle when it comes to business savvy. Work at mastering both so you don't have to be a "starving artist."


Do you have some links for us to follow you? 



Thank you for sharing your photos and story with us this morning, Rebecca. We at Vision and Verse wish you success in all your endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment