Wednesday, April 14, 2021

INTERVIEW: Master Storyteller Jared McVay


Jared McVay
Powell Butte, Oregon


Good morning, Jared, and welcome back to Vision and Verse, the site for Art and Authors and those who love them. Can you tell us a little about what you've written? 
So far, I've written over 20 books in eight different genres, including an award winning western Hacker's Raid, and a 10-book western series, Clay Brentwood, a contemporary mystery 2-book series so far, about a young woman named Kathleen McClusky. I've written a twice awarded contemporary action adventure, Not On My Mountain, a pirate/wizard trilogy, Brody O'Shea, a YA Fantasy that is also loved by adults, Silent Runner/Guardian Warrior, three children's books, and at present I'm writing book one of a Post Apocalyptic Fiction series called Patriot Warriors.


Favorite genre to write?
I'm still working on that one. As I said,
 I write several genres and like all of 
them. Who knows how many more I will write?


Favorite food.
Let's see, I'm a simple eater: Bacon and eggs, biscuits and sausage gravy, and last but not least, a pot of navy beans with cornbread, fried potatoes and a big slice of onion.


Tea or coffee?  
Black coffee, but a cup of tea on a cold or rainy afternoon is good.


Pizza or ice cream?
 
Definitely, ice cream

 
Wine or beer?
Beer on a hot afternoon. But Brown Sugar Bourbon is best, anytime.





Where would you like to visit?  
With a name like McVay, it has to be Ireland and Scotland.


Favorite musical artist. 
I'm an ole country boy so it has to be Hank Williams and Johnny Cash.
                                           

Do you listen to music when you write? 
No, it distracts from the movie I watch in my head that I write down what I see and hear - which turns out to be the book I'm writing.


What makes you laugh?
Far, far too many things to list. But basically, people and the silly things they say and do.


Favorite work of art or sculpture?  
Anything by my friend, Tom Browning, Artist.


How old were you when you started writing? 
Fifteen. I began writing short stories at the encouragement of my literature teacher. 

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? 
No. As I said earlier, I turn on a switch and watch a movie in my head and when the movie ends, so does the book. I never know who's coming next or what will happen next. And I'm the first one to read it, so I get excited, angry, upset or sometimes, even cry. If I get emotional, then I figure I have a good story, which is what we all strive for.


Describe your perfect evening.
Big glass of ice tea, a big bowl of popcorn 
and a good movie.


Where do you get your inspiration?
My publisher, or anyone for that matter will say, "You should write a book about..." And off I go. That's all it takes. Guess that's why I've written so many genres.

                                              
What do you do when you get writer's block? 
Good question. So far I've never had it - but if I ever do, I'll let you know. Like I said, I just watch a 
movie in my head and write it down.


Who is your favorite author?
Tough question. As it turns out, I read a wide variety of genres and authors, both male and female, many who are  author friends of mine and first time writers who send me their book. As long as they write a good story, I love them all.


What was the last book you read? 
1st time writer, Grant Rosenberg - Gideon - detective/mystery


What would you do for a living if you weren't a writer? 
I guess I would go back to my old profession - SAG - AFTRA - EQUITY principal actor. I've been in around 40 movies - worked on more than 20 television shows,  a whole slew of television commercials, voice-over dubbing for foreign cartoons, ghostwriter for screenplays , MC for live shows- along with speaking about, acting, writing and motivational. 

    
Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life?
 In 1955, I was running wild and living a rough life, when I met a man named, Gene Warren. He gave me a job and for the next two years, he taught me about life and how to be a man. I still remember his teaching today. He and his wife became lifelong friends, and I was sad when I heard of his passing.


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be, and why? 
After careful consideration, I would have to say, Benjamin Franklin. I would like to tell and show him all that came from his inventions.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 
Hummm, I guess I would tell them, if you're motivated and feel you have a story or stories in you that you need to put down on paper? Do it... Writing should be for yourself. and...if other people like what you have to say - then you become a professional writer - but no matter, write for yourself.
                                     

Do you have some links for us to follow you? 

I'm a writer and not a very techy one. I do put things on Facebook, - which I believe is attached somehow to Twitter and Goodreads. My publisher, Creative Texts Publishers, also advertises my books - last but not least - my friend, Crystal Gauthier of CIG Promotions and Marketing sends out ads about my books. 


Amazon Author Page:  http://www.amazon.com/Jared McVay/e/B0060B8M8Q

Jared McVay
Actor, Writer, Storyteller
Novels, Children's Books
Blog:  Jared's Scribblings


Dear Gentle Readers, 
Here are  my reviews of 

Not on My Mountain


They are great stories!
Hugs,
Carol









VISIONANDVERSEDISCLAIMER:

Note:

Vision and Verse does not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. And cookies? We eat cookies.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment