Friday, February 16, 2024

BOOK: Echo of Heartbreak, A Recipe for Life by Carol Ann Kauffman

 


 
Echo of Heartbreak, A Recipe for Life is a short story written in the form of a letter from a very ill mother to her unborn daughter, telling her the incidents surrounding her birth, giving her advice on life, and leaving her the best of her family recipes.





Dear Gentle Readers,
This is one of my favorite short stories, though it was not necessarily fun to write because my mother was very ill and tended to be growly. 
The recipes included in Echo are my mother's secret recipes. My mother was an old Italian lady who prided herself on her cooking and baking. Everybody loved her food and our dinner table was always filled. 
My mother never wrote a recipe down. She never gave her recipes to any one - correctly. No one! That included me and my sister. 
Fast forward many years, my mother is in a rehabilitation facility because she fell and broke her hip and could not get back up on her feet. Feeling mortal for the first time in her life, she finally agreed to give me her recipes. It was still trial and error, but at least we were on the right path. 
She'd give me a recipe from memory. I would go home and make it. I would bring some back to the nursing home for her to taste. And she would critique it.
    
    "Too much salt."
    "Not enough basil."
    "Too much flour."  
    "You rushed it, didn't you?" 

Oh, it was an experience. Good. Bad. Sometimes ugly. She did come home from that stint in rehab and lived another three years comfortably in her own home with help. She made me promise to give her recipes to NO ONE until after she died.
If you try some of these recipes, think of Mama.

Hugs,
Carol

 

Amazon Buy Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment