Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Interview with Author Yvonne Rediger

Yvonne Rediger
Vancouver Island, British Columbia 
Canada


Good morning, Yvonne, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors. Can you tell us a little about what have you've written?  
VIC Shapeshifter series, The Shape of US book 1, Hell Cat book 2, Trusting the Wolf book 3, released soon

What is your favorite genre to write? 
Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Mysteries and Thrillers.



Favorite food?
Pasta, cream or tomato base, doesn’t matter. I have a wicked carbonara recipe!


Tea or coffee? 
Depends on the time of day. We have a tea farm close by so I alternate.


Pizza or ice cream? 
Chocolate ice cream, my fav is Dutch chocolate.


Wine or beer?  
Wine for an evening out or snuggling on the couch. Beer for the football game!


Where would you like to visit? 
Europe, I’ve been to the UK a couple of times and want to see the continent.


Italy is absolutely fabulous. You must go! Favorite musical artist. 
I have to many I love to pick a favourite. Currently binging on The Eagles, Imagine Dragons, Sheep Dogs, and Adele.


I love Adele and the Eagles, too. Do you listen to music when you write? No, not when I write. I do the rest of the time, driving and chores.


What makes you laugh? 
My husband and my kids. We all have  a dry sense of humour and gags from the past will be revisited constantly. April Fools is a favourite.


This is an Art and Authors site, so I must ask: Favorite work of art or sculpture.  
Robert Bateman’s work, animal and landscape realism, such detail.


How old were you when you started writing? 
We moved to Edmonton for my Dad’s work when I was in grade nine. It took a while to make friends, so I started writing fan fiction. An odd combination of sci-fi and cop mystery.



Describe your perfect evening.  
Lying on the deck of our sailboat at night, in August, watching for meteors with my husband.


Where do you get your inspiration? 
Life experience, conversations I’ve had with family and friends.  Experiences recounted to me, everyone in the family knows they are fair game! They also support me as beta readers.



What do you do when you get a writer's block?  
I’ve never had it. If a plot dries up, it’s because I’ve taken a wrong turn. I backtrack and change direction. Too many ideas are bubbling in my brain to have that happen, I think.



Who is your favorite author? 
Tanya Huff


Best book you ever read. 
Blood Ties by Tanya Huff, strong female lead, with strong male leads to support them. Diversification in the cast of characters and a good solid mystery with urban fantasy elements.


Last book you read. 
Wildfire by Ilona Andrews


What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?  
I’m a solution architect in my other life. I love it and would do it till I’m 80! I started on the technical side of information technology and graduated to the project side. I love the problem solving of launching a new process or piece of software with a committed team.
Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why? My Aunt Lea, she was an independent thinker, doer and life maker when it wasn’t what women were supposed to be. This year she turned 96. In the cozy mystery I am currently writing, Death and Cupcakes, I used her for my RCMP officer on the case.


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?  
Sir Terry Pratchett, I would ask him about his world building process. But mostly I’d love talking about Discworld with him.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 
You don’t have to write your story or novel in sequential order.  If a scene is burning in your mind, write it first. Later, you can daisy-chain the scenes together.



Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Yvonne Rediger
VIC Shapeshifter Series
Urban Fantasy - Paranormal - Romantic Suspense


     




12 comments:

  1. Hi there, one update!

    "Hell Cat have as been picked up by Black Opal Books and will be released in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Yvonne, enjoyed reading the blog and getting know you a little. I haven't read shape-shifter novels, but now I'm intrigued. Good luck with your release!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Carol Ann, for having me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, it is my pleasure to introduce quality writers to by readers. Come back and see us anytime Hugs,
      Carol

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the interview, Yvonne. We have a couple of things in common; I love Robert Bateman too, especially his big cat paintings, and I grew up two hours west of Edmonton. Small world, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a small world. I lived in Edmonton for a year when my dad worked in Fort Saskatchewan, great city.

      Delete
  5. Hi Yvonne, enjoyed reading your interview. I think we all have someone in our past who influenced us in helping get us where we are today. Yay for Aunt Lea, Best, Sylvie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sylvie, it's true, we all look to strong women to shape us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Lying on the deck of our sailboat at night, in August, watching for meteors with my husband."
    Your answer above sounds like a slice of Heaven on earth, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you find inspiration everywhere, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for commenting. Stop by on Wednesdays for more interviews with the finest new and established authors I can find. I hope you find your new favorite author!
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete