Wednesday, June 10, 2020

INTERVIEW: Literary Fiction Writer Jan Notzon


Jan Notzon
Charlotte, North Carolina
USA


Good morning, Jan, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for Art and Authors and those people who love them. What have you written?
I have four published novels: “The Dogs…Barking”; “And Ye Shall Be As Gods”; “The Id Paradox”; “Song for the Forsaken”. I’ve also written seven full-length plays, a one-act and a children’s story.


What is your favorite genre to write?
I only write literary fiction, stories about people trying to make sense of their lives, which is what I’m trying to do in my writing, i.e. trying to get some understanding of this bizarre puzzle called “life” that we all share.

Favorite food.
Hmm. I’d have to say a Mexican dish called Cabrito, the way my mother made it.


Pizza or ice cream?
Being hypoglycemic, I’d have to 
say Pizza.


Tea or coffee?
Both!

Wine or beer?
Again, both!


Where would you like to visit?
I’d like to go back to Poland where my father’s family is from and see if I can use any of the Polish I’ve been trying to learn.



Favorite musical artist.  
Gustav Mahler



Do you listen to music when you write? 
Every now and then

What? 
Classical
                                                            
What makes you laugh?
Steven Wright; my dog Sheba.               

Favorite work of art or sculpture.
Renoir’s “Child In White


How old were you when you started writing?
I was around 38 when I wrote my first play, I think.

Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?
I start by kicking around a few ideas, take some notes on possible scenarios, write some dialogue. After I’m already well into the process, I might make a possible outline that’s subject to change.

Describe your perfect evening.
I’ve written myself into a corner and finally find a way out!

Where do you get your inspiration?
From life, my imagination, things about this life that puzzle me.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
The only time I can’t write at all is when I’m severely depressed. Then I know I have to reach out to friends.

Who is your favorite author?
William Shakespeare



Best book you ever read.
Novel: East of Eden. Story: King Lear

Last book you read.
The Federalist Papers

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
Put a gun to my head.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
I’d have to say my father. Because he was my father.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
Wow, tough to choose, there are so many. I suppose, William Shakespeare. I’d like to ask him if he knew he was the greatest writer in history.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Do it as long as you enjoy it and need to do it. If it stops being fun, don’t take it so seriously.

Do you have some links for us to follow you?
https://www.jannotzon.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Jan-Notzon-1691383774433443/
https://twitter.com/i/flow/rux



I’ll also have a second website from New Reader Magazine that featured my novel “And Ye Shall Be As Gods”.





Note:

Vision and Verse does not use cookies. We do not store any personal information like email addresses, home addresses, etc. We do not give any information to third parties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment