Wednesday, November 7, 2018

INTERVIEW: Meet British Author Liz Wixley


Liz Wixley
Bristol, United Kingdom


Good morning, Liz, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the site for Art and Authors. Can you tell us a little about what you've written? 
I have written and published fourteen books. My most popular books are the ‘Cathedral Chronicles Series’, In the Devil’s Own Words, Bloodborne and Reflections. I’m inspired by locations. When I was a child,we moved house frequently for reasons which still aren’t apparent. When I was eleven, we arrived in a small village called Chilham which was seven miles from Canterbury in Kent. Although at first, I found the place creepy I quickly grew to love my new home, to me, it was the most magical place on Earth. Of course, when I was sixteen, my parents decided to move again, and for this and other reasons, I left home. In the Devil’s Own Words was my way of revisiting a place for which I longed to return.
The ‘Witchfinder Series,' is also popular. Once again these books were inspired by a place which continually fascinates me, provides me with a sense of proportion and freedom, my beloved Dartmoor. I’m always drawn back there physically and in my mind. These books are multi-layered and maybe read on different levels. Thefirst book in this series ‘Adam’s Cross’ is quite a dark, psychological fantasy but is needed for the rest of the series. Each story has a main character who has ‘a cross to bear’. My fantasy is often rooted in real-life issues. 
My father was a design engineer and my mother a teacher. From my father I developed a love of science and from my mother the arts and history. Therefore when discussing imminent disasters with one of my biggest fans and friends who lives in Vermont, I also recalled conversations on the matters I’d had with my mother. She believed the biggest threat to our planet was from solar flares, so my next two books I wrote for her, ‘Traitor Sun’ and ‘Vengeful Earth’.
My latest novel, newly released, was written for my much adored, one and only grandchild Alfie. This book is family friendly but is currently too old for Alfie as it is aimed at nine years on and may also be enjoyed by adults. Included in the story are all the ingredients I know Alfie loves, and I also enjoy. I’ve also added in hopefully a digestible way, things for adopted children and the best ways to negotiate a path through life and how to treat other people and animals. Something for his future.


That is so sweet! I am sure he will love it. What is your favorite genre to write?
My favourite genre is real-world fantasy, ordinary people caught up in extraordinary circumstances. What if? A blending of authentic life experiences with the fanciful. I like things to be believable or possible.

Favorite food.
Cheese is by far my favourite food. Although I had a sweet tooth when I was young, I now have a preference for savoury. As I spend much of my time with my grandson, the odd bite of cake does on occasions pass my lips.


Tea or coffee?
Coffee is essential for the writing process.


Haha! So true...Pizza or ice cream?
Not much of a sweet tooth except for ice cream. I have to help Alfie with his, or it dribbles everywhere. 


Wine or beer or soda?
Red wine is my poison of choice mostly on the weekend and on holiday with a meal.


Where would you like to visit?
Florence and Rome for the Michelangelo and Leonardo DeVinci. However, my preference is anywhere in nature, wild coasts and Dartmoor. I’m very much an outdoor person.


Florence and Rome are fascinating. Go. Go soon. And see Venice while you're in Italy. It is inspirational. Favorite musical artist.  Do you listen to music when you write?
Music really is the food of life. I enjoy a vastvariety from classical, to rock and singersong writers. Carmen, Madam Butterfly, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and so many others introduced to me by my children. I used to play classical music while writing, but since moving my office to the garden shed, I just listen to the bird-song.

What makes you laugh?
My husbands extremely unfunny jokes make me laugh. Satirical humour, plays on words, ‘Black Adder’.


Favorite work of art or sculpture.
When I was young, I went to art school determined to become an accomplished artist. I lived in London at the time and had access to many wonderfulgalleries and fell in love with many works of art too numerous to mention. I would head for specific picture and gawp, fascinated. I went through a faze of, impressionists, Turner, Rembrandt. One which sticks in my head is a largepicture you see in one of the first rooms of the National Gallery. I can’t look at it and have to pass with my head bowed, I think it’s Lady Jane Grey, moments before her execution. It fills me with such horror. Another one I liked especially as a child was Jesus standing in front of a row of judges. It is dark and candlelit, butI can’t remember the name of the artist. 


How old were you when you started writing?
I’ve always been interested in creativity. It started with drawing and painting and moved onto story telling. I just love a good story. Reading has helped me survive my darkest times and often given me a short-cut on understanding the world, relationships and an abundance of fascinating ideas. My head is mostly in the clouds. I worked with children experiencing emotional and behavioural difficulties for much of my adult life, andstorytellingwas a great teaching tool, a way of enabling children to understandsituations without placing blame. I’m forever indebtedand grateful to all those authors who provided me with so much when I most needed another'sworld.
Do you plan out your book with outlines and notecards? Or just write?
The pattern of my writing often start with an inspiring location and then a core idea. The next step is to start writing, to fill the blank paper. Then I write notes as the ideas flood through my brain. After a while, the story and the characters inform me on what direction they want to travel.


Describe your perfect evening.  
My perfect evening is having a meal with the ones I love. My ideal day is playing with my grandson, re-living all those fun things. We do get into trouble sometimes because we often seem to end up muddy or wet.


Where do you get your inspiration?
My inspiration often grows from places and people I’ve known. So be careful I’m always on the look out for protagonists and antagonists.


Who is your favorite author?
My favourite author is a difficult one. I have read endlessly throughout my life. When I was younger I enjoyed John Wyndham, ‘The Chrysalids’.  In my real life faze I recall liking ‘Bernard Malamud’, Dostoevsky and all the classics. Then followed Philip Pullman and many fantasy writers. 


Best book you ever read.
I don’t have a best. There are books which have been significantat certain times for numerous reasons. ‘The Reader’, impressed me because it showed the devastating results of not being able to read. ‘The Pianist’, ‘The Fixer’, ‘Northern Lights’, so many. I also love poetry, ‘Footsteps in the Sand’.


Last book you read.
I now read indie authors who to me seem to often provide the unexpected which is what I’m looking for these days.


What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
Before I was privileged enough to have time to write full time I worked for the local authority visiting schools supporting children with emotional and behavioural difficulties. At the same time, I was bringing my own sons up as a single parent. Working with children requires much creative thinking, so I think at that time my artistic urges were satisfied.


Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
My dad is a wonderful man who brought ideas to me and conversations beyond those I heard from others. He is a lateral thinker and a kind and humble man. My mother who is a complex and challenging character gave me the love of the arts and history. Leonard Cohen and other musicians and writers who’ve walked alongside me throughout my life with whom I’m deeply indebted.


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
I would like to sit down with Leonard Cohen and thank him for guiding me through, for being an inspiration in all ways. We stand on the shoulders of the great. Of course, there are numerous other people with whom I would like to spend time.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
For anyone inspired to follow any form of a creativedream, I would say force yourself to find the time and just do it. Our world needs creative thinkers more than ever, and there is room for everyone. You won't become rich or famous, but it's better to visit other worlds than to try and keep your balance on shifting sands. Art focusses the mind and takes away stress.


Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Facebooks Author’s page: https://www.facebook.com/lizwixley/

Twitter: E.M.G Wixley @TarianGreen1

No comments:

Post a Comment